Chapter 26 : Bitterness

Long chapter ahead! Happy reading :)

- - - - ♡ - - - -

beh jayega, tinka tinka kal ka silsila, chalo

mil jayega, aur ek haseen kafila, chalo

- - - - ♡ - - - -

Nikhil preferred steering clear of people when they got emotional around him. He just couldn't stand someone crying. Unable to see her breakdown and cry bitterly, he got off the bench, stood before her. His intention was to wipe her tears and comfort her. However, in that moment of compassion he ended up pulling her for a hug.

It felt so right.

She wrapped her arms around him, her face pressing against his chest as she sobbed. Nikhil was very aware in that moment of closeness. He realized he loved what he felt. It was soothing. To just be there for someone when they needed someone to hold. To feel there was someone who needed him. He was careful enough to hold her arms gently. He didn't want to hurt her in any way. It was a rather awkward position but he didn't mind.

He felt her pull back after about a minute had lapsed. He took a sharp exhale, straightening up, moving himself away from her. "It's okay," He said to comfort her. Taking his handkerchief from her hand he wiped her cheeks as delicately as he could.

Sharanya simply stared at him. He was so gentle and caring. She had never expected that from him. She just looked into his eyes, unfazed.

It took awhile for the moment to sink in, as they looked at each other silently.

"You okay?" Nikhil asked hesitantly, once he found his voice back.

She nodded wordlessly. "Thanks," she said, looking down. She had hugged him. The realization was still settling. The moment of absolute weakness had passed. She straightened her emotions.

"It's okay, if you don't want to go back there." Nikhil spoke, as he stepped away realizing he was intruding her personal space, he had been standing too close.

"No, I am fine," she said, sniffing a bit. "I'll just use the washroom." She added, glancing at him. She got up, her fingers quickly correcting her saree.

He nodded, "I'll be here."

Sharanya made her way to the restrooms she had passed earlier.

Nikhil let out an audible sigh once she was gone. He sat back on the bench thoughtfully. He now understood why Sharanya didn't tell him about her sister. It was clearly a painful story to tell. He closed his eyes, revisiting that moment. He liked holding her close. He liked feeling wanted.

Still there was a worry among his thoughts and feelings — his mother's reaction to it all. He didn't have to guess how pissed she would have been. He tapped his shoes on the ground wondering how he'd deal with his mother's disappointment. There was still another worry. One he wouldn't admit was his. Why was his brother dating Sharanya's sister? Did he know about his girlfriend's past?

He got up and quickly made his way to the washroom, realizing he needed to pee. The lenses in his eyes had begun to cause irritation too. He was done for the day. He wanted to go back to his room.

* * *

Nikhil had returned to the lawn with Sharanya on his side. She had to request her sister over a phone call to fetch her handbag. Nikhil had waited outside the restroom while Akshaya had helped Sharanya correct her appearance. He wondered if they spoke about the situation at hand. Akshaya didn't come across as disturbed as Sharanya was. Perhaps she was better at masking it than Sharanya. He could never know.