I Know My Daughter

"Why are u telling me all that, Scott?"

"Because I believe that u can be that someone...the only question is, do u believe it?"

"Scott, Felicity and I are over..."

"The hell u're not! U will man up, tell her how u really feel and she'll run to u!"

"U don't understand..."

"I understand perfectly! I know how it is to give your heart to someone and then being left with nothing but pain! Every man I've ever met has gone through something like that and every single one of them has reacted the same way: they locked their heart and threw away the key, making themselves cold and distant, afraid to ever feel something real again! And I'm all pro for this, I did it myself, but when u have someone who's worth it in front of u, u put your guards down and let them in!"

"U never know when someone is really worth it, Scott! They all seem good at first and then one day they go fuck somebody else and then leave u in pieces, wondering if u were the problem, to begin with! I can't go through that again, I already feel bad about myself, I don't need someone else to make me feel worse!"

"Aaron, u're in your 40s! Fate brought Felicity to your way! She made u feel something after a long, long time! Isn't that a sign that it's time for u to open your heart again?"

"No! Because if I do open it and she ends up rejecting me, I will fall deeper than before! I can't pour my heart into her and have her choose someone else! I won't have that!"

"U're such a fool, Aaron! If u tell her how u feel, if u get brutally honest about your feelings for her, she'll choose u! The only thing holding her back, is u not being clear! And, honestly? She's right about that! She can't drop something sure for something unsure! She's 22 years old, she's only starting to make her own life, everything is unstable around her, the one thing she can count on being stable, is her relationship! She can't have that part of her life unstabilized just like that! She needs something to lean into! She has been leaning on something stable for so long, that if she loses that too, she will get way out of balance! U have to realize that! She doesn't have a steady-ass job like u, but she has a fiancé! It's not just a relationship! If u're that selfish, thinking only how u will be destroyed if she rejects u, without thinking how afraid she is of letting something sure to go for something uncertain, then maybe u don't deserve her!"

"How do u know she will come to me if I tell her how I feel?"

"She has never cried for anyone, but she cried for u! I've seen her with Oliver, she loves him, but sooner or later she'll get bored and will be miserable and if he doesn't leave her first, she will either stay just to have something instead of nothing or just leave him...He's too calm for her! She needs the spark! The flame! She needs someone to challenge her, not someone who will always say yes to her until he just gets sick and tired of that! Also, she wouldn't be cheating her fiancé with u if she didn't want u enough to leave him!"

"How are u so sure of her? U just found out she had a secret life and u're so sure about who she is and what she needs!"

"I know my daughter, Aaron! I've been raising her long enough to know her character! I even know things she doesn't know I do!"

"Like what?"

"I know she was fucking our driver in high school...not that it's any of your business, but I wanted to get it out of my chest!"

"See? she keeps doing things behind your back, how can u be sure of her character and the moves she'll make?"

"I told u; I know her character! I know that not everyone catches her eye, I know that she needs a lot to get excited about someone! And also I know she has integrity!"

"Integrity? She made an agreement with a guy almost twice her age to do things for money!" I say and he slams his hand on the table again, coming forward

"Don't u dare judge her for that! Especially when u were the one that made that offer to her!" he says growling, pointing his finger at me, and I immediately regret saying it

"U're right, I'm sorry, I'm just trying to understand how u can be so sure about her!"

"I know what u're thinking: What if she cheats on me too?"

"Well, can u blame me? She's been cheating on Oliver, thinks about leaving him for another man... Am I wrong to be afraid she'll do the same?"

"It's in your hand for her not to do that, Aaron! That's what I've been telling u all along! As long as u do right by her, she will do right by u too! She returns favors; Always remember that! She'll treat u like u treat her! If u hurt her, she'll hurt u, if u leave her, she'll leave u, if u stop giving her attention, she'll find it somewhere else and she'll stop giving u attention! Se won't even think twice!"

"Why are u trying to get us together?"

"Because I think u'd be a nice fit! U can balance each other out! And if u end up together, it'll be easier for me to decide who will take over my company after I die!"

"U have big plans for us, huh?"

"A father has to think of everything! I've been feeding my daughter with the money from my company! I'll be damned to leave it to someone who will destroy it! She's not interested, so I have to find someone else...someone I can trust! And since I'm not sure I even like u anymore, the only way for me to trust u with my company, is to trust u with my daughter! And I will trust u with my daughter if u quit being a coward! I won't be rooting for u until she comes running to tell me that she heard what she needed to hear from u!"

"I'm not a good talker, Scott! I prefer actions!"

"And I believe in actions, but u need to say some things too...U don't have to say too much, just the right things and then your words must match your actions! Women like to hear things first and see actions second! For now, u asking her to leave Oliver, was an action, but if she doesn't hear the words, she won't be satisfied...U get me?"

"Yeah, I do..."