Gifts

Aaron's P.O.V

A few minutes after I get back in the car, I see Oliver coming out of the bookstore angry and I realize they fought.
When Felicity finally comes and gets in tha car, I see her with tears in her eyes and the moment she closes the door she starts sobbing.

"Felicity, what happened? Why are u crying?" I ask panicked, taking her head in my hands

"Oliver... He-he told me that I'm the problem and-and then he-he started wishing us the best, b-but then he said that he actually doesn't m-mean any of that and-and that he hopes u'll realize what-what I am, eventually..." she answers sobbing in between and then a I pull her into a hug

"Baby, please, calm down! U're not a problem!" I say petting her hair

"But, what if I am? I mean, I-I did cheat on him! I did lie! I did ma-make him look like a fool! What if I'm indeed problematic?" she says and I pull away, making her look at me

"Hey! U're many things, but a problem, isn't one of them! U just made some wrong moves, and that's ok! We all make mistakes!"

"Yes, but now I can't afford to make more! We're gonna have a kid!"

"Of course we're gonna make mistakes, baby! Every parent makes mistakes, u can't have everything figured out! We're humans! The important thing is to understand when u have made a mistake and apologize sincerely and not do it again! We learn through the mistakes we make! No one is perfect!" I say and she falls in my arms again

"God, I love u so much! Please don't leave me! I swear I'll try to be the best wife and mother!"

"I will never leave u! I didn't fight tooth and nail just to let u go! This is forever! And whatever Oliver thinks about u, isn't your problem...not anymore!" I say stroking her hair and she takes a deep breath

~~~~~~

7 weeks later, their son, Scott Elias Moore, was born as healthy as it gets! Felicity was on top of the world, finally being able to hold her little prince in her arms after 37 weeks of having him inside of her. Aaron, on the other hand, even though he cried his eyes out when he held him for the first time, wasn't very excited to have a son, because if everything that's been said about the mother-and-son bond are true, and if his relationship with his late mother was also an indicator, he knew he will have to compete with the little guy for Felicity's attention.

After spending about a month just staring at him sleeping, he got to think of all the things he could teach him, hoping he will turn out to be a better man than himself ever was, with the most important lesson being how amazing his mom is and that he should always respect women and be honest about his intentions with them. God knows how he wishes for his little boy not to do the same mistakes he made, especially not telling Felicity how he really feels sooner!

2 years later, after having put their lives on track, they finally decided to get married. They both wanted it to be special and worthy of all the waiting, so they spent about a year planning it. In the meanwhile, Felicity left her job 6 months after Scott was born, in order to find something better, since the career prospects were nonexistent. When she got face to face with all the discrimination women with children face, meaning that she was being rejected because she had a kid, and especially a baby, Aaron decided to unite with her dad and buy 50% of a very profitable bookstore near where they live, in her name, having in mind how much she loves books and that her dream was to have her own bookstore someday.

"Why would u do that without asking me? I tried so hard not be dependent on anyone and u go and buy me half a store? And u? *points at her dad* u gave me this whole lecture when I went to college about me learning to work in order to get by! How did u end up agreeing on that?" she scolds them when they tell her the news

"U're not gonna be dependent on anyone! Consider it a gift!" Aaron says trying to calm her, but this only makes her angrier

"A gift... This counts as 10 anniversary gifts, if not more!"

"What if I agree not to buy u anything for the next 10 anniversaries?"

"Come on, we both know it won't happen!"

"Sweetie, I know that u're upset and u're right, but we only did it to help u! U saw how brutal it is out there! Even if someone hired u, u wouldn't get a promotion easily!" her dad says

"So? I would just do my job and I would put money aside in order to open my own bookstore if I saw that a promotion wasn't gonna come!"

"And u would have lost 10 years, give or take, doing something u don't like or that doesn't fulfill u!"

"Wake up, dad, everyone does that!"

"And just because everyone does, u have too? It would be ok if we didn't have the money, but since we do, why not use it to help u?" Aaron asks and her dad agrees

"Because we agreed that the fact that u're loaded won't affect the balance and the dynamic of our relationship! If u being rich is the answer, I might as well feed off of u and not work again!"

"That's an option too, u could stop working and have books and stuff as a hobby, u know I have no problem with that, but I know that u don't want that, that's why we did the bookstore thing!"

"How great that those are my only 2 options!" she says ironically

"How can I accept something like that when I swore to myself that I will never get money from u again? How will I be able to pay u back for that?" she continues, looking at Aaron

"Kitten, u don't have to pay me back! U gave me the most priceless thing in the world-a real family, with love and respect! Something I never thought I'd have! Nothing I'll ever do for u will ever be enough to match all that u have given me!" he says, getting up from the couch him and her dad were sitting all this time, and going close to her, putting his arms around her waist. With that final sentence, she melts like ice melts under heat and accepts their gesture.

The day of their wedding, she revealed to him that she's pregnant again, making the day even more special and him feel happier than ever. When their little girl, Penelope Hope Moore, was born, Aaron felt a kind of happiness he never thought possible and vowed to do right by her and correct the mistakes he made with Claire.

"Their kids were raised in an environment filled with love, respect, equality and books. The family they built was so strong that no one could even think about the age difference between the couple, because no one could doubt the love they have for each other." That's the epilogue of Felicity's book, which she published on their 10th wedding anniversary, as a tribute to the best decision she ever made.

She sent a copy to Oliver, in an attempt to make him forgive her, by letting him know the whole truth. She never heard from him after doing that, so they'll probably never know if he even read it. But it didn't matter any more. She was finally happy.