THIRTEEN

Word Count: 1646

~Avia

Kadrick passes back and forth in my room, dappled streaks of moonlight tracing his person.

"I can't stand him," he mutters distractedly, hands clenched firmly at his sides.

I loung back on the bed, chewing mindlessly on a snack I retrieved earlier from the kitchen. Kadrick is struggling with the same initial feelings that consumed me when I arrived. He may not have experienced the consequences of Isaiah's reign to the same extent I have, but that, and yet the anger he grapples with is fiery and hot, compared to mine, which simmers at a cold, dark intensity. I've had years to cry, to scream and truly feel the anger from my parents death, from my life circumstances before and after that life altering event. Now, I'm merely bitter, glacial.

"How do you think I feel?" I sigh tiredly, pondering the last few weeks. Everyone at the compound, including Kadrick, is aware of my faltering determination.

Being exposed to Isaiah has revealed more to me than I thought. I expected arrogance, hatred and a disinterest for anyone but himself. There may be those traits, reflective of his position, but they aren't so deeply embedded into his person as I thought.

But saving him isn't an option. It never has been.

"The way he looks at you...Like he wants to eat you alive," Karick grits out, pausing his incessant pacing to lock eyes upon me. "Maybe Malin was wrong."

"I doubt he actually wants me. He's taunting me, waiting for me to be ensnared in his trap," I scramble, pulling myself out of my plush pillows. Kadrick's fluffy hair now an unkempt mess, sticking up at all angles as he rakes his hands through the strands, close to tearing them out.

"What did he offer you the other night?"

Damn. He caught that. "Essentially, he offered to fuck me."

Kadrick stiffens. I feel bad for lying to them, but admitting that would mean they would expect more out of me than I can currently give them. Just because Isaiah is ready to tumble into bed with me does not mean he trusts me enough to feed me information. That takes time, commitment to the act, which I'm slowly learning to master as the days pass.

"And yet you're telling the group he doesn't want you?" Kadrick's tone is heavy, carrying hints of anger, jealousy and confusion. I can't blame him. He's facing a situation I couldn't possibly comprehend being in myself.

"He doesn't, okay? Like I said, this is a game to him. He enjoys seeing people submit for him, seeing them melt under his stare."

I get to my feet, passing Kadrick by to tug my dresser opening. Once I'm done with this mission, I will miss the simple luxuries of having a full draw of clothing for me to wear, all well made and not stolen or dirty. Pulling out a night dress, I examine the soft lilac colour under the moonlight.

"Not only do I have to be in his presence, I have to watch him seduce my girlfriend," Kadrick murmurs, voice barely above a whisper. "And why did no one tell me he was that tall and well-built?"

I smile, amused. I wondered the exact same thing when I first saw the Alpha in person as well, my mouth having dried a little at his staggering height and impressive stature. The broadcasts of him don't do him justice. And for Kadrick, who is near obsessed with his own appearance, I can't imagine what he is thinking when he's in Isaiah's presence.

"You don't need to be intimidated," I assure him, pausing in front of him, running my hand down his arm, smiling warmly at him.

Some of the tension vanishes from his shoulders. "You held your ground today. I appreciate that."