TWENTY ONE

Word Count: 1845

~Avia

I'm not sure how I've managed to convince Zire to take me into the family's private library, I'm just grateful he is upholding his end of the deal.

I'm sure if I had asked Isaiah, he would have allowed me in here, but I'm not ready to arise any ounce of suspicion, especially when Kit is around. So now I sit, with Zire opposite me, flipping through his own book. I've searched throughout for history one the Alpha family, hoping to make myself seem more like a Noble's daughter over conversation at dinners.

Even if being around Kit makes me sick.

"Do you like Kit?" I ask softly, raising my gaze up.

Zire pauses, a page between his fingertips. There's some bitter simmering in his eyes, making the darkness of his irises look even more cold.

"No."

"I thought he seemed nice. But I overheard him talking to Isaiah..." I drift. It's not exactly like I want to talk to Zire, let alone confide in him with my feelings, but no one else is here to listen that has quite the connection to Isaiah. I can't risk it with Cherry. Not when she could feed my curiosity back to Savea and Mari.

"Don't," Zire admonishes, eyeing me carefully. "Their relationship is complicated. It's best to leave them to it."

Chewing on the edge of my lip, I lower my gaze back down to my book, although the words seem muddled before my distracted eyes. I'm not going to go as far to tell Zire about what Kit did to my family, but it feels like information that will naturally become apparent if I start ranting about my pure hatred towards the former Alpha.

I can't help myself, as I look back up. "You're his closest friend. You should say something."

Zire sighs, closing his book. I note the subtle eye roll. He's bothered, I realised, having me digging around, telling him how he should handle his friendship with Isaiah.

"What's your real name?" he questions.

My brows furrow as I tuck my legs up to my chest, resting my book on my thighs. "As if I'm going to tell you."

"I feel strange referring to you as Kenna when it's just you and me." I glance around the room, confirming that it truly is just him and I. Doesn't mean I'm going to hand him that information so easily. If he is trying to trip me up, he is going to have to work harder than that...

"Call me V," I say simply.

"Your name starts with V?" He pushes.

"No, but it has a V in it."

"Hmm." He leans back into the plush couch, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "We made an agreement, I'm not going to say anything to Isaiah."

Despite sitting in this room with him, I have no intention of establishing any kind of friendly relationship. He is still arrogant, and he made all those comments to me when I first moved in. The only thing I can truly commend him for is his perfect balance between self preservation and being truly protective over his friend, Isaiah.

"I still can't believe you're willing to let a rebel stay here just to keep your identity hidden," I muse, flipping through my pages, trying to find something deeper back into the history. I'm not the best at reading, nor did I learn much history since I didn't have an opportunity to go to school.

Zire tilts his head back and forth, slightly too long red hair grazing his brows. "I have my reasons."

"Fine. Do you have information?" I question.