TWENTY SIX

Word Count: 1670

~Avia

The fire has officially burnt out within Kenna.

For the past week, she hasn't had anything spiteful to say, and has instead opted for staring blankly at the wall. We've offered her books, pens and paper, anything for her to do in her idle time, which is all day, except when Malin is in here, questioning her. And now that Kenna isn't fighting back, Malin is bored with her, and has sent me in here to do my part in convincing her that we are the good guys.

Even though seeing her in this small room makes me think that we are becoming the opposite of the good guys.

"How are you feeling?" I ask softly. She's lost a lot of weight, sometimes refusing to eat for days until she realises Malin's resolve is far stronger than her's, and if Kenna died, that would make Malin's job far easier. Her clothes hand from her small frame awkwardly, making me wince whenever I come into the room.

She doesn't even look at me, back pressed against the wall, legs under the covers of her bed. "Tired."

That much is obvious. The dark circles under her eyes have become so entrenched in her appearance that I can't remember what she looked like without them. And her skin is sallow, so pale and lifeless without constant sun. She avoids the small, barred window like it might burn her.

"Can't sleep?" I ask softly. I've offered constantly to supply her with better bedding, but she hasn't taken it.

She shrugs. "Missing my family."

My heart hurts. It aches to the point nausea rises up within me. I know what it feels like to miss your family, so I can only imagine what Kenna is feeling. She may even doubt if she will ever see them again. I want her too. I want this to be over, so she can go home and be happy.

I just hope Malin doesn't kill her first.

"I'm sorry you're here. I know I tell you that every time we talk," I sigh. I don't know what else to sat to her. It's not like I can apologise anymore, and there's no hope in convincing her to side with us. Whenever I try, she just stares blankly at me. She dropped the curt retorts about how we are all deluded and how she doesn't care about this Pack.

"The doubt is written all over your face," she mutters, coughing into her hand. "Malin, even your boyfriend sees it."

I blink, unsure of how to respond to that.

I'm done trying to convince myself that I'm not doubting anything. If I weren't thinking twice in my situation, then I would be a soulless person. Malin might disagree, but I've come to know a different side to everyone in that manor, so it hurts. I just have to remember the bigger picture, remember what my family went through in their last moments, just so Isaiah's family could continue their reign,

"I'm not doubting anything, this job just is taxing." it's not like I can confide in Kenna. Any sign of weakness in me, and she will exploit it to get herself out of here, to get me in trouble with Malin. She's made remarks to me in the past about how she thinks Malin is the true leader, and that she will eventually turn against me.

Kenna rests her head against the wall, closing her eyes. "Malin is a bitch."

"She can be, yes," I admit.

Kenna smiles lightly, for the first time since she came in here. "Well, if you happen to change your mind about this whole rebellion thing, let me know, and we can get out of here and not look back."

I watch her quietly for a long moment. She doesn't avert her gaze, and for the briefest moment, I see a spark of hope there. She genuinely believes I am going to turn away from the rebellion, that I'm her new way out of here.