THIRTY FIVE

Word Count: 1718

~Avia

I already know this is going to go terribly.

Upon entering the compound, I can sense Malin's mood from everyone else's reactions. Nobody speaks to me as I walk past, most even avoiding eye-contact with me. They know I'm in trouble, and I know it too. But I refuse to allow Malin to walk all over me. I run this Rebellion too, whether she likes it or not.

Malin is exactly where I figured she would be in. Wandering into her office, I don't bother knocking. She lounges on a couch pressed against the far wall, looking into the blazing fire with a stoic expression.

"That second-in-command you hate so much got Kadrick out, with Caiya's help," Malin mutters, not bothering to raise her gaze to look at me.

My throat is painfully dry.

"I'm just glad he didn't get killed," I respond honestly. Had Kadrick ended up being killed by Isaiah, I don't think I would be able to move on. I'm already struggling with all this guilt, and now that Kadrick is free, I don't want him to cross paths with Isaiah again.

"I'm glad he didn't say anything," Malin mutters, taking a long drink from her glass. "If he did, I would have killed him myself."

Striding over, I collapse into an accompanying seat, kicking my legs up.

"Everything worked out, it's fine."

Malin turns to look at me, her dark gaze burning hot. "He only ended up in that position because you broke up with him. He was a mess, he slipped up."

I frown. I figured as much, that there would have to be an astounding reason for Kadrick making such a bad mistake, and now I know. But I had to break up with him, for both his and my wellbeing. It wouldn't have been fair to string him along until the Rebellion has drawn to a close, and Malin knows that.

She is looking for a reason to dig at me, to make me feel guilty.

"So it's my fault," I ask flatly.

Her brows crease. "I think it's exactly your fault."

"You should be more grateful for everything that I'm doing," I remind her. From the start, I've put myself in harms way, while Malin has stood in the shadows, commanding everyone she could with no risk to her at all.

Malin pauses for a moment, letting the silence weigh on me, while she stares me down. I can sense something is coming, that Kadrick being caught isn't what is irritating her.

"I know you're having doubts," she says eventually.

"No -"

"You need to decide who's side you're own, Avia," she growls, leaning forward. The harshness of her tone hits me. This isn't a joke, and this isn't a suggestion. She wants what she is saying to hurt. "And don't you dare lie to me."

I blink. I can't believe how forceful she is being.

"Malin, I want this as much as you do. But can't we do this better?" I question. I want to see Kit pay more than anyone here, but tearing down good people like Isaiah, Cherry and even Isaiah isn't good. They don't deserve to die because of their parents decisions, but Malin doesn't know them like I do now.

"What could he have possibly done to make you side with him?" She demands. The way she says it makes it seem like she knows that Isaiah is my mate. Currently, I'm the only one who knows, and it's weighing heavily on my shoulders, especially now.

My face reddens. "I'm not!"

Suddenly Malin is on her feet, approaching me. "You can't lie to me, Avia, I know you better then you even know yourself."