FOURTEEN

Word Count: 1804

(TW: brief indications of abuse in the very beginning)

~Avia

I scrunch my nose up, trying not to sneeze.

This morning I was summoned early to have breakfast with the girls outside in the formal garden under an impressive sized pergola. The morning sun warms my back as I enjoy my white tea with honey, even if I'm rubbing my nose every few seconds, silently cursing my allergies, even if the blooming flowers around us are beautiful.

"Who is Elise?" I ask mindlessly once the discussion between Savea and Cherry dies down.

They have been discussing the pearls strung around Cherry's neck, which as stunning as they are, and likely boast an impressive price tag, it's disturbingly evident why she has been gifted such luxury by her family. Nothing can draw the eye from the reddish bruise turning violet on the side of her face, partially tinting her jawline and cheek. I physically winced when I greeted her this morning, but she hasn't once mentioned it.

Mari takes a bite from a soft biscuit, balancing her hand beneath to catch the crumbs. "Isaiah's friend. We told you."

"Tell me more about her. She's coming to stay." I lean forward in my chair, reaching for the small pot of white sugar, but Cherry pushes it away, smirking. I narrow my eyes on her. I like everything sweet, including my tea, although Cherry has made it clear it's bad for me, and she isn't willing to compromise my health.

"Good luck girl, I can't stand her. She's very entitled and proper," Savea mutters, resting the back of her hand, covered in a lace glove, against her forehead dramatically. "If you're actually interested in Isaiah, I wouldn't tell her. She will go out of her way to make life hell for you."

"Why?"

"She doesn't want anyone to take away her chances of marrying Isaiah," Cherry giggles, nudging Mari who swats her away.

I chew on the edge of my lip. "Tell me about her family."

"They are the wealthiest in the Pack, even more wealthy than Isaiah," Savea explains, reaching out to adjust the vase at the centre of table, full of Cherry's favourite flowers - daisies. "They have bought their way into power."

"Didn't our families do the same thing?" I ask warily, hoping it doesn't offend any of them. They aren't as touchy as I thought they would be. Mari can be snappy, but Cherry and Savea are quite relaxed, enjoying conversing with me about the nature of the life we have stumbled into.

If I belonged to this life.

"Our families were appointed power due to our lineage," Savea swiftly corrects, although she doesn't sound so sure. I don't think it would be hard to sow the seed of doubt in some of their minds. I just need more time that I'm not sure I have.

"Isn't it my favourite trio."

I freeze, turning around to see a figure walking toward the table. My eyes narrow, trying to see her past the golden halo that frames her body from the sun behind her, the unfamiliar tone to her voice making my blood turn cold.

"Elise. We had no idea you were coming," Cherry says, although there is a sardonic twist to her tone.

I sit up straighter, not realising it's Elise who has suddenly graced our presence. She is taller than I thought she would be, her legs long under her sheer dress that she holds just above skimming the gravel as she approaches, finally emerging into the shade.

She doesn't so much as glance at me, instead focusing on the girl beside me. "Cherry, your mother still hitting you? Thought you were old enough to move out."