THIRTY ONE

Word Count: 1496

~Avia

Shattered glass under my foot crunches as I walk into the home.

I can think of at least five people that would be disgusted to find me here, but I can't help myself. Knowing how this Pack works, there is no guarantee there will ever be justice for the murdered, even if they are prolific families who have done nothing but bad for the rebellion.

And mostly I want to know. Especially if Mari's family might be involved.

"This is dangerous," Kadrick mutters as he picks through the shattered glass, following me into what must be the main living area of the home.

The bodies have been removed, but most of the crime scene has been left behind. Whoever did it came through the window in a dramatic fashion, having then killed the couple and their son in cold blood.

Soon, all of this will be gone, so in the middle of the night, Kadrick and I have come to see if we can garner any information from what has been left behind.

"I just want to look around. It won't take long," I murmur distractedly.

This home is stunning, and yet another painful example of how wealthy some are, and others are not. The way this family acquired their money wasn't moral, I assume, as I wander around, making note of everything that has been trashed. Paintings have been pulled off the wall, vases smashed and curtains torn.

"The mission-"

I pause, turning back to Kadrick. "Yes, I know. You're not going to tell Malin."

Kadrick narrows his eyes at my sharp tone. I feel terrible, continuing to lie to him while avoiding any intimacy with him. He's starting to become irritated, which I can't blame him for. I need to end it soon, now that I know Isaiah is my mate. Even if I can never be with Isaiah, I can't keep tugging Kadrick on like this.

"Which one of your friends has the murderous family?" he questions, kicking through the broken glass while I look around.

"First, they aren't my friends. Second, we don't actually know who the murderer is. And third, it's Mari." I stalk through the hallway, looking for some kind of office or place where important documents would be kept.

"Well, it looks like Mari's father killed that blonde one's mother..."

I pause, turning around.

Kadrick looks unbothered, hands seated in his pockets. He should be unbothered, the death of one of those family members is a good thing for the rebellion. And I agree, because Cherry's mother was abusive, and I put Zire onto killing her.

Either she was murdered by the unmasked murderer, or Zire.

"Cherry's?" I ask, trying not to reveal anything other than vague interest in the issue, knowing any scepticism will have him going straight to Malin. "Her mother died?"

Kadrick grins broadly. "Yeah, how good is that?"

Exhaling slowly, I turn back around, knowing I can't divulge to Kadrick how it was Zire who may have killed her. If he found out I asked him to, he would suspect I did it because I care about Cherry, and not for the rebellion.

Initially, it was for the rebellion, but now, I'm glad she is gone from Cherry's life. Yet my heart hurts a little, knowing she will mourn for quite some time, and I contributed to putting her through that.

"Okay. Look for any evidence you can before we get out of here," I say, once we make it into what must be an office, everything packed away neatly, mercifully not trashed by the intruders. "Remember, we don't care about the murders, we care about any connection to Isaiah."