TWENTY FIVE

Word Count: 2151

~Avia

I'm nearly asleep. Nearly.

My curtains rustle in the night breeze. It's cool, the blanket's wrapped around me as I watch the way the fabric undulates, thinking. I should have gone to the compound, but I couldn't drag myself rom the bed, couldn't force clothes over my limbs. Most of all, I can't face Kadrick, or Malin. And even I changed my mind, it's far too late now. Easily past midnight.

I'm not sure what compels me, but I stand, deciding laying in that bed, staring at the moving curtain any longer is going to make me lose my mind.

For awhile, I just pace. Eventually I approach the curtain, brushing it out of the way as lean out to close the window.

A glimpse out across the formal lawn reveals a figure wading through the darkness, heading out towards the forest. They have a hood pulled over their head, but it's painfully obvious who it is. I can tell by their height, but their stature.

Isaiah.

He walks on almost the exact path I do when I sneak out. There's a cut through the forest that leads down the hill, to a road. It takes you straight to the nearest town. But why would he want to go through there? He could take his own car, or have someone else take him...

I chew on the edge of my lip. I shouldn't go. I should close my curtains, and clamber back into the bed, even though there is no chance I will be able to go back to sleep.

Or I could follow him. See where he is going and why he feels the need to hide it.

I mean, it's my job, right?

Sighing, I rush to the dresser, forcing some warm clothes on, pressing my feet into shoes before heading down the stairs, trying to keep my steps quiet. Rubbing tiredness out of my eyes, I emerge outside, ignoring the bite of cold. Damn, I should have worn gloves.

I fall into a run, knowing I have to rush if I want to catch up to him. Being that I'm so familiar with the path, it doesn't take me long until I catch up with Isaiah. I stay far enough behind, slipping from tree to tree in case he decides to turn around. I want to see where he is heading before I ruin anything.

We walk for awhile, toward the city.

Wariness starts to seize me the deeper we go. It's harder to remain inconspicuous in the city. No one seems to be bothered with Isaiah, meaning his hood is enough to conceal his identity. Why would he risk coming out here when if someone was to recognise him, they would tear him apart in an instance.

Eventually, we cut down a cobblestone street that is unoccupied, so I keep to the shadows, continuing to tail the Alpha.

And then he stops.

I duck behind a large mental bin, keeping my head low, looking through the gap to keep any eye on him. He's leaning against the wall now, tapping his foot impatiently. That is, until another figure appears from around the corner, pulling their own hood off at the sight of Isaiah.

It's a woman. I've never seen her in my life, although it is obvious Isaiah does, he greets her kindly, albeit tightly. He seems anxious, glancing over his shoulder.

"This is getting dangerous," the woman exclaims.

She almost sounds amused. I lean closer, as if it will reveal more about their relationship. Are they secret lovers? Despite the strange feeling digging into my stomach, I know it can't be true. He has Elise, but he doesn't want her...He wants me, allegedly. But he could entertain more lovers.

I shake my head. What does it matter?

"You know what I want," he murmurs lowly.

The woman reaches into her coat, pulling out a folded wad of papers. "I don't have much. People are getting nervous, especially with all the rebellions, with the murders."