Chapter 20

Control. It's something everyone craves, to control certain aspects of their lives. It's a tricky thing, control. It could seem like you have all the control in the world, until one little slip up happens, and suddenly all that control vanishes with the flick of a wrist. It's easy to lose, almost impossible to get back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting in history class was the last thing Liza wanted to be doing, but alas, she apparently needed to be there if she wanted to graduate. Not that she was failing, but her and one Tyler Lockwood tended to skip classes due to how bored they were. Alas her attendance was spotty, and they apparently didn't like that here. 

So while Elena and Stefan are making heart eyes at each other, Liza was trying to make Tyler and Matt laugh with her silly facial expressions. Then the buzzkill known as Mr. Alaric Saltzman started his oh so boring lecture. "Ok. This week we're going to set aside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history, as we approach founders' day." Liza simply could not hold back her scoff at the cheesy shit this town did. Ric seemed to agree with her unsaid statement as he shot her a sly smile.

"Yes Ms. Summers, I'm not a fan of it either but apparently the community leaders feel that's more important than World War 2, but hey what do I know?" Liza frowned before making her feelings known. "Oh, come on! That's my favorite war!" She earned a chuckle from Matt and Elena on that one, causing the young ginger to smile. 

Just as she was about to receive a probably laughable response from Ric, the door opens and in walks the one and only Bonnie Bennet, who's been visiting family for who knows how long since her Grams passed. Liza couldn't really look at her without feeling the immense guilt of knowing what was going to happen and not doing anything, it felt like a weight on her chest. 

"Sorry I'm late." "Looks like we'll be at full occupancy today, welcome home, Bonnie." Liza simply looked down at her desk, opening her book to the correct page as Bonnie sat in front of her. She wasn't sure if Bonnie would still consider her a friend, but she wouldn't blame her if she didn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a few days later and Liza was walking down the stairs with Elena, she decided on a green floor length dress that hugged her waist but flowed out just a little below that, long sleeves so she wouldn't get cold and simple black heels with a natural make up look that went well with her curled hair, making sure she didn't miss a step from carrying that huge dress when there was a knock on the door. Answering the door seeing it was Ric, Liza smiled at him, "Hey, I heard you were driving." "Yeah, I am." Following her in, Alaric stopped at the entry way, grabbing Elena's dress from her. "Thanks" "No problem. Hey, how uh, how is Stefan?" bringing not only Elena's attention to him, but Liza's as well. Liza narrowed her eyes at him, wondering why he was asking. As far as Liza knew, everything was fine with the once broody vampire. "What do you mean?"

(See image at beginning of chapter for dress) 

"You know, he seems on edge." Elena quickly answered the man, "He went through a lot, he was in bad shape for a while, but he's bouncing back now." Liza nodded but exchanged a quick look with Alaric, a silent agreement to watch him tonight was made. John then chose this moment to walk into the room from the kitchen making Liza groan at his presence and Elena to roll her eyes and try to escape, Liza following her. "Alaric, hey buddy. What are you doing here?" "Well, I'm the chauffer" Liza's beautiful mother then made her way down the stairs, "Oh, no need. We're going with Ric." Liza and Elena then made their way back to the front, ready to leave. "Are we ready?" Liza looked at her mother as Jenna spoke to the least wanted person in the room, "Jeremy can ride with you." Liza frowned at that "Oh come on, first no World war this week and then no Jeremy to tease in the car? Why does the universe hate me so?" The others laughed as she pouted on her way to the car.