Chapter 17

Life sometimes has a funny way of unfolding. Last year if you had asked Liza what the first word that came to mind when you said the word vampire was, she'd say fiction. Now, she'd say monster. When she slept, she had nightmares, when she was awake, she came face to face with those nightmares. She couldn't escape. It was easy to assume that she was handling all of this like a pro, but on the inside, Liza was scared. Sure she now had all the abilities required to hunt down monsters and kill them, but that's what scared her. Her best friend was one of these creatures and her cousin was heavily involved with them, she didn't want to somehow end up killing one of them. She wasn't sure what she felt Damon anymore, after hearing him brag about how he killed Isobel. She knew she cared for him, but she wasn't sure to what extent anymore. Maybe he was a friend, maybe he was more, she wasn't sure anymore. All she knew was that whatever she felt for him, it wasn't the same anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Storms were never Liza's strong suit, hey always terrified her. Even as a teenager she was still terrified of them, something about the noises and she certainty of the destruction they caused. Her nightmares were always the most terrifying during a storm, so she tended to sleep with Elena in her bed those nights. The window slamming open woke both the girls up, Elena going to close the window before checking on her cousin, "You Ok?" Liza nodded before running her hands through her hair, "Yeah, I'll be ok." Elena smiled at her before going to ask Jeremy to help with the windows. 

Liza had just finished checking the windows in her room before going over to her closet and grabbing her hidden duffle bag. She wanted to check her stake stash just in case, she had a feeling she might need it soon. Counting only seven she made a mental note to make more, she had a feeling she would need a lot more than she had.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elena, Liza, Stefan and Damon were all in the Salvatore library as the older male boarded up the broken window. "I say we go to Pearls, take don the door and annihilate the idiot that attacked us last night." Liza rolled her eyes at his rash thinking, "And then what? We turn to the rest of the vampires in the house and say 'Oops, sorry?'" Damon shrugged as Stefan nodded in agreement with Liza. "I can't believe you made a deal with her." Elena couldn't get her head around that Damon was being Damon again and made a deal with Pearl. "It was more like a helpful exchange of information. It's not like I had a choice, she's, scary. Besides, she's gonna help me get Katherine back." Liza rolled her eyes, "Of course she is." Elena rolled her eyes at him "Damon gets what he wants as usual no matter who he hurts in the process." "You don't have to be snarky about it."  Annoyed with him, Liza finally said something, "We woke up this morning to find out that all the vampires had been released from the tomb, we've earned snarky." He looked at Elena, "How long are you going to blame me for turning your birth mother into a vampire?" Liza laughed at him "We don't blame you Damon. We've accepted the fact that you're a self-serving psychopath with no redeeming qualities." "Ouch" Stefan finally stepped in, not wanting this to escalate any further, "This isn't being very productive. We're gonna figure out a way to deal with pearl and the vampire's yeah?"  Damon walked out one way while Liza walked out another. She was tired of Damon and his selfishness, tired of being anywhere near him without it turning into a fight, ever since they found out about Isobel and what Damon did to her that's all the two of them did, fight. It was safe to assume that any feelings she may have had for him were snuffed out by the anger she felt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liza and Elena were at their house when Damon showed up and knocked on their door, "You're ignoring me" Liza rolled her eyes as he just walked right in, "The six missed calls? Sorry my phone is dead." Elena chuckled at her cousins remark as Damon asked them "Is Stefan here?" Liza shook her head as Elena responded to him "No why? Is something wrong?" "He went out into the woods, he's not answering his phone, I figured he was here with you." Liza and Elena shared a worried look as Elena called him "It's going straight to voicemail, where could he be?" Damon looked deep in thought as he responded "You're not gonna like what I'm thinking."

Liza and Elena were waiting in the car as Damon went to go check on the house. He came back about 10 minutes later as the two went out to meet him "What happened where is he?" "They have him, I can't get in." "Well why not?" "Because the woman who owns the house is compelled to not let me in." Liza and Elena looked down at each other before Elena spoke with her plan, "We can get in" The two went to move as Damon stopped them, "You're not going in there." "I'm going" "You're not going in there." Liza shook her head "Why are they doing this? What do they want with him?" Damon shook his head, "Revenge. They want revenge." Liza shook her head as Elena said "We gotta do something." "I know" Liza looked at Damon with worry "We can't let them hurt him, we gotta get him out of there." Damon grabbed onto her face as he looked at her "I know Liza, I know. But I don't know how to get him out." Liza and Elena looked at him worried, not liking his answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The three of them went to the only place they could think of to get help, Mr. Saltzman. Damon went in first as Liza and Elena followed, just as they walked up they heard Damon say "Oh I can hurt you alright" Liza hit his arm causing him to grab it in pain as Elena talked to Mr. Saltzman. "Mr. Saltzman, we need your help."

The four of them moved to the classroom, for a more private talk, as Liza was sitting on one of the desks and Damon was up against the window, Elena was talking to the teacher/vampire hunter. "Stefan's in the house. Damon's a vampire he can't get in. We need you, I would go but" Damon then cut her off "But your life is valuable." He then looked to the teacher "Yours on the other hand" Liza then went up to the desk and cut Damon off, "We told them about your ring." Alaric then looked at Liza "What about it?" Damon butted in "Let me recap, You tried to kill me, I defended myself, you died, and according to Ms. Banshee over here, your ring brought you back to life. Am I leaving anything out?" Mr. Saltzman looked at Damon "Yeah the part where I try to kill you again only this time I don't miss." Liza rolled her eyes at them as Elena intervened, "Mr. Saltzman please. It's Stefan." Alaric shook his head, "I'm sorry Elena, but it's not my problem." Liza shook her head as she pushed off his desk. "Well that's a shame because the woman in charge of the crowd can help you find your wife" Liza looked back at him puzzled as Mr. Saltzman called his bluff "You're lying" "Am I, Why don't you ask her about it yourself?" Knowing he wasn't going to help Liza looked at him "You're a coward. Come on Elena." As the three were walking out Mr. Saltzman called to them "Alright. Wait. I'll go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I know it's been a hot minute, trust me. I am so sorry, i really am, life just kinda got in the way of well, everything. But hey, that's 2020 for you. I am making episode 17 a two part chapter because I just feel like it's meant to be that way and I skipped episode 16. The other part to this chapter will be up tomorrow afternoon, eastern time. 

~Sami