Chapter 8

The last thing Liza wanted to do right now was answer the sheriffs questions about Vicki Donovan. She wasn't quite sure how she was going to look this woman in the eye and lie to her, knowing that Vicki didn't run away, she was dead, and Liza was the one who killed her. Yet, despite her fears and anxiety, here she was, sitting in front of the sheriff. 

"Where did Vicki say she was going?" Liza was nervous, but she wouldn't let it show. "She didn't." Sheriff Forbes nodded, "Did she tell her brother where she was going?" Liza shook her head, "As far as I know she didn't tell anyone." The Sheriff nodded once more and went through a series of questions that Liza answered the best she could without giving herself away. When they were finally finished, it took everything Liza had to not confess right there. The guilt was eating her alive, but she kept a straight face, got up from her chair, and all but raced outside of the station. When she opened the doors she saw Stefan standing there.

"Hey, how are you doing?" Liza looked at him, "How am I doing? Really?" She looked around and made sure no one was listening before bringing her voice down to a whisper, "I just lied to the sheriff Stefan, I killed that girl and now I have to live with it for the rest of my life." By the time she finished, Liza was almost in tears, just barely holding them back, so Stefan brought her into a hug, knowing it might not help, but Liza would appreciate it nontheless. When Matt opened the door of the Staion, Liza looked up from her place infront of Stefan and looked away from the blue eyed boy very quickly. Whenever she looked at him, all she could see was Vicki, and whenever she saw Vicki, all she could see was the stake in her hands going through Vicki's chest.

Liza couldn't look at the boy as he walked past the pair. "I was just trying to help her Matt." Stefan wanted to try and reason with him, knowing he was an important part of both Liza and Elena's lives. It killed Stefan to know that Liza was going through what she was. He didn't want her to have to do that, at least not yet. He knew it was going to happen eventually, but he was hoping to spare her from this for as long as possible. His thoughts were cut short when the rest of the Gilbert-Sommers household came out. Elena looked at her cousin and Stefan taking in her cousins appearance. She hated seeing her like this, it was obvious she wasn't taking what she did well, no matter how many time Elena tried to reassure her that she saved her life that night. She turned to her younger brother and aunt, "We'll meet you guys at the car." Jenna and Jeremy walked away as Elena walked up to Liza and Stefan, immediatly taking Liza's hand in hers as a way to reassure the red head that she was their for her, like Liza did for her all summer after her parents died.

"You ok?" Stefan asked Elena, she nodded "I don't think the sheriff suspected anything. Jeremy had no memory at all,  all he knew was what Damon made him know." Liza wasn't sure where she stood on Elena having Damon take away Jeremy's memorys. On one hand, she knew it was wrong, messing with someones head like that, but at the same time, she was happy he didn't know what she had done to the first girl he had ever loved. She was terrified she was going to loose him after it had all happened, and when Elena had told her what she had Damon do, a part of her was relieved. "Thank you." Liza looked between the two as she let go of Elena's hand and walked towards the car with her mother and cousin. When Elena had joined them she forced a small smile towards Stefan and got in the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elena and Liza were sitting on opposite ends of the couch, when Jenna plopped down inbetween them. "You guys are wallowing." Liza looked at her cousin over her mothers head before leaning her head on her mom's shoulder, "So are you." Jenna stroked her daughters hair, "My wallow is legitamite, I was dumped." Liza squezzed her moms hand while Elena took over the conversation, "Yeah, well, Logan's a jerk." "You didn't get a brush off email saying I'm leaving town, see ya." Jeremy called out to them from the living room, "Wanna keep it down over there?" Liza sat up and leaned against the back of the couch as she faced him, "Why? What are you doing?" Jeremy's gaze was focused on the papers and books infront of him "Homework." It was then that Jenna and Elena also sat up and faced him "Since when do you do homework?" Jeremy looked at them for a split second, "I gotta finish this, I'm way behind and I have a quiz tomorrow so.." The three just stared at him "What do you think?" Elena asked the two red heads. Liza chuckled "Alien. Definitly." Jenna however, disagreed. "Some sort of replicant." Jeremy stared at the three "He can hear you" Liza laughed and went over to the table hoping to help her cousin even just a little, feeling the most normal she's felt in a long time.