Chapter 16

It had been a little over a week since grams had passed, and Liza had decided that she was taking a break from the supernatural part of her life. So here she was, sitting on the porch of her house with Elena, reading a book as her cousin called their friend Bonnie who had left town with her aunt to spend time with family. Liza would be lying if she said that she expected Bonnie to come back. After everything that happened, she deserved an escape, and Liza secretly hoped she would take it. Bonnie didn't need to be dragged into this life, yet she was, and that made Liza pity her friend. As Elena left yet another voicemail for the witch, Jenna walked back up onto the porch and stood before her niece and daughter. "What are you guys doing out here? It's cold." Liza smiled at her mom and held up her book, while Elena gave a verbal response, "thinking, writing. The, uh, funeral for Bonnie's grandma, it brought back a lot of memories about mom and dad. I was wondering, you said that you would do some digging, about them, the adoption." Liza looked up at her mom, reading the hesitation on her face. "Right." Elena was oblivious to the fact that the subject bothered Jenna, but she was desperate, and desperation clouds the eyes. "So did you? Dig?" Jenna nodded with a slight smile, "Come on inside." Liza smiled at the two as they went in, leaving her on the porch by herself. It's not that she didn't want to help her cousin, it's just that she thought this was something Elena needed to do by herself for once. So Liza sat on the porch, drinking her coffee and reading her book, enjoying the normalcy she felt in that moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seemed as though, no matter how much she tried to stay out of things, something, or someone, mainly Elena, would drag her into it. So Liza really shouldn't be shocked that said cousin dragged her to meet Elena's bio moms bff from high school. Trudy was the lady's name, and the pair of cousins were on her doorstep on this cold day, with Liza glaring at Elena as she knocked. "You know, I was perfectly happy at home, reading." Elena smiled at her cousin, "Yes, but then I wouldn't have you here to protect me if something went wrong." The red head huffed at the burnette, knowing she was right and that if she was home, she'd be checking her phone every five seconds in case Elena needed her. The door opened, interrupting Liza's thoughts, revealing a blonde woman, "Trudy? Trudy Peterson?" The lady smiled at the girls, "Yes." "Um, My name is Elena Gilbert, I wanted to talk to you about Isobel Flemming." "Well I haven't heard that name in years." Elena nodded to herself, looking at her cousin beside her, "How do you know her?" Elena took a deep breath, "I think that um, well, Do you know if she had a baby that she gave up for adoption?" The blonde took in a quick breath, "My god, you're her daughter." Trudy smiled at the girls, "I was just gonna make some tea, would you like some?" Elena smiled while Liza sighed, thankful to get out of the freezing cold. "Sure" Trudy moved out of the door way, "The kitchen is this way." Liza followed Elena in, following Trudy to the table across the house. 

Liza had just watched her cousin ramble on and on, finding it very amusing as her cousin took a seat beside her. "Do you always talk that much when you're nervous?" Elena smacked her cousins arm, "Shut up" Liza smiled at her cousin before looking to the doorway Trudy walked through towards the kitchen, "I don't trust her, something's not right here." Elena looked at her cousin, "Are you sure you're not just suspicious about everyone now?" Liza smiled at her cousin and shrugged, waiting for Trudy to come back with the tea. 

Trudy had been showing them pictures of Isobel and her back in high school. "They cam to the games for us, the football team hadn't won in years. We were the stars, well Izzy was, but I was a damn good back up." Elena chuckled at her comments, "This is great, thank you." Trudy smiled at the girls, "You're welcome." Liza had been quietly watching the two of them as they talked about Isobel, smiling at Elena's happiness. Trudy looked at the girls drinks, "You guys haven't touched your tea." The two looked at their cups, quickly taking a sip, causing them to stop as the they tasted it, quickly taking a whiff of it. That was the thing about vervain, it has a very unique flavor and smell, quickly causing Liza to look at Trudy, watching her every move as she put down her cup, ready to take action if needed. Elena took the more direct approach, "What is this?" Trudy flipped through the pages, "Oh it's just some herbal mixture" Liza could spot that lie from a mile away, "Vervain you mean." Trudy slowly looked up at them as Elena put the pieces together, "You know." Trudy still tried to play dumb, "Know what?" "You didn't invite us in, and you're serving vervain tea, you know." Trudy slowly stood up, causing Liza to as well, stepping closer to Elena, "I think that you should probably leave." Liza skeptically looked at her, it was obvious that Trudy was scared, "Wait, what are you not telling her?" Trudy looked at the banshee, "Please, leave. Now." As they left and made their way to Liza's car, they had noticed a man standing in the middle of the road watching them, causing the girls to look at each other before quickly getting in and driving off.