Chapter 1

Liza was ready. She had to be, for her cousins. She didn't move across the country for nothing. Her cousins were the closest things she had to siblings. So when Liza knocked on Elena's door making sure she was good, she was shocked to see her all ready dressed and ready to go. Her cousin did not look like the girl that had been spending most of her nights in her cousins room crying in grief.

"You're ready, I have to say I'm a little shocked" Liza won't lie, she had a strong belief in honesty, something her mother taught her at a young age. Elena knew this, so she wasn't shocked at her cousin's bluntness towards her.

"Can't stay wallowing in my grief forever Liza, I have a life to live." She then moved past her and down the stairs. Liza followed her with her eyes and smiled as she was left alone. Elena was right, she does have a life to live, and now was the time to get back to it. She went back into her room, and finished herself up for school.

"Liza Miranda Sommers if you aren't down here in the next fifteen minutes so help me!"

"Coming, Mother!" Liza practically skipped down the steps, giving her mother a kiss on the cheek as she passed her, "Good Morning Mama, how'd you sleep?" Jenna couldn't help the smile that came upon her face as she was greeted by her daughter, still enjoying the fact that she was a mom to this beautiful girl infront of her. You'd think by looking at them that Liza was her biological daughter, with both of them having red hair, but Jenna actually adopted Liza when she was left on her doorstep 16 years ago. "I slept fine thank you. Toast, I can make toast."

"It's all about the coffee Aunt Jenna" Elena was already pouring some as she said this, only proving her statement even more true as Jeremy walked in. 

"Is there coffee?" He simply grabbed the mug Elena had just finished pouring, taking it for himself. Liza simply chuckled as she grabbed two more mugs and handed them to Elena, smiling at her cousin sweetly as she was glared at as the coffee was poured and handed to her. "It's your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared. Lunch money?" Elena and Liza shook thier heads silently saying they were fine while Jeremy grabbed the money out of both of Jenna's hands. 

"Anything else? A number two pencil? What am I missing?" Liza smiled at her mother's over concerning nature, knowing she was a nervous wreck raising not just one, but three teenagers now. Elena looked over at Jenna, "Don't you have a big presentation today?" Jenna looked between her Daughter and Niece as Liza pointed at her watch. "I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at... now. Crap." Liza smiled at her mother's usual lack of time managing, knowing it was never going to change.

"Then go, we'll be fine." Jenna smiled at Elena and gave her daughter a peck on the cheek as she rushed out the door. Elena turned to Jeremy "You ok?" Jeremy looked between his siter and cousin and scoffed "Don't start" and walked out of the room. Liza simply sipped her coffee with a frown etched on her face, worried for her younger cousin. Elena looked at the red head and sighed, "Hey, don't take it personally, he's just being Jeremy." Liza smiled at her cousin, "How are you getting to school?" "Bonnie, you?" Elena was secretly hoping that she would ride with them but since Liza had her own car now, she was doubtful that would happen. "I have to stop by the office to pick up my schedule before classes so I'm gonna take my car, but I'll meet you at Bonnie's locker, Ok?" Elena smiled at her cousin, grateful that she knew she needed her, today more than ever, "Yeah ok." With that Liza out the door and off to school, mentally preparing herself for the hell that is Mystic Falls High.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liza was walking up to Elena and Bonnie when she heard the end of their conversation, "Find a man, coin a phrase, it's a busy year." Bonnie then looked at between the cousin's shoulders. There, across the hall, stood a blonde football player, staring at them. Elena waved at him with a small smile, but then he glared at her, grabbed his books, slammed his locker and stocked off down the hallway. Liza glared at his back till she turned to her cousin, "Uh, who's the jerk?"