Chapter 13

When Liza moved to Mystic Falls, she never imagined her life would lead to this. When she arrived in the small town, she was just a girl who was helping her grieving family move on, and become happy again. She never thought that she would discover that she was a mythical creature, that other such creatures exist. Her life had done a complete 180, and she decided this morning, that she could either run from it and probably end up dead like the rest of her kind, or she could accept it and fight to live. She chose the latter, knowing that she had people to help her through this, knowing she had a support system. She was done wallowing in her confusion and sadness. She wasn't going to let her anger for how things turned out become a permanent part of her. She was not going to become Damon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liza, Elena and Stefan were in the kitchen, looking through boxes for the Gilbert Journal. "Do you think Damon really believes us? That we're trying to help him?" Liza looked up from the box she packing to her cousin. She shrugged shoulders as she looked to Stefan, the only one who would be able to answer that question. "I don't think Damon knows what to believe. Trust isn't something that comes naturally to him." Liza nodded as she played with an old book she found, thinking about what Stefan said. "You know, I really think that Damon believes that everything he's done, every move he's made, he's done for love." Liza looked at her cousin, "Twisted, but kind of sad." Stefan took a moment to look between the girls before he answered, "There are other ways to get what you want. You don't have to kill people, Damon has no regard for human life. He enjoys inflicting pain on others." Liza nodded and looked to the vampire who looked to be in deep thought, making her internally groan as she knew another monologue was coming. "For 145 years, every single time that I have let down my guard and let Damon back into my life, he's done something to make me regret that. I'm not going to make that mistake again." Liza looked at her cousin and shrugged her shoulders before looking back at the Salvatore, "So what do you think will happen if the gets opened and Damon gets Katherine back?" Stefan looked at her, "I think that no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people will die." Lia nodded, letting go a breath she didn't know she was holding. She put the book back in the box, contemplating everything she had just heard.

Elena was holding a photo, making Stefan go behind her and look at it, "That's Jonathan Gilbert." Liza had gone around to look as Elena opened a box that was holding some form of restraint like thing. "What's this?" Liza looked at it, "I don't know, but it's creepy." Elena chuckled at her cousin as she placed the small box inside the bigger one. Jeremy came into the kitchen, looking at the mess they had made, "What are you guys doing?" Elena looked at him, "Hey, just um, going through some stuff, feeling sentimental. Dad had this old family journal from years ago. I thought I'd dig it up." Jeremy pushed himself up to sit on the counter, "You mean Jonathan Gilbert's journal?" Liza looked at her younger cousin, "Yeah, what do you know about it?" Jeremy looked at the red head, "I just did a history report on it." Stefan and Liza quickly looked at each other as Elena continued talking to Jeremy, "Oh, so where is it?" "I gave it to Mr. Saltzman, he wanted to see it." Liza, Stefan and Elena all looked at each other, in both shock and worry. What would their history teacher want with that journal?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liza and Stefan had decided to pay said teacher a visit. They needed to know what he knew. They waited in his classroom, not expecting him to show up with a makeshift stake gun. He shot at Stefan, making Liza move and catch the stake that was about to impale her friend. She and Stefan glared at Alaric, as he looked both shocked and pissed that they were there. He quickly loaded another stake and turned to run, but Stefan was quick and moved in front of him, "You shouldn't have done that." Liza then grabbed the teacher from his coat and threw him away from Stefan who held his stake gun. "Have a seat." Liza pointed to the seats for a dramatic effect, effectively scaring her teacher, who was still shocked at her being there. "What is this, compressed air?" Stefan was referring to the weapon in his hand, "Did you make it yourself?" Liza looked to the teacher, glaring at him, "Who are you?" Mr. Saltzman leaned back, as if to get away from the red head, she rolled her eyes, "I'm not gonna hurt you, unless you try that again."