Chapter 3: The First Step Part 1

When he got back to Sanctuary, Mason put the power armor in the station to repair it later. They had moved all the workstations into his driveway, with the exception of the cooking station, where they had set it in front of the place. After making sure Dogmeat was comfortable on his couch, he took the bag to the workshop and dropped the junk off there, leaving it for others to scrap when they needed it. Taking the armor and weapons he had collected back to his house, he started to go through them and was slightly disappointed but saw use in some of the pieces. While it wouldn't provide protection against bullets well, it would help better than nothing. Leaving some forearm and leg pieces on the bed for him to fix later, he collected the rest and took it to Shaun's old room. While they had scrapped most of the crib, they still had the mobile on the dresser they had put in there for clothes. They had turned the old room into a storage area for things they collected, though he knew they'd have to make another building for it soon. After finishing with the armor he put away, he went back to his room and took his armor off, grabbing the leather pieces and taking it to the armor workstation. After putting the man's jacket from the front of the museum on, he walked out front to talk to Codsworth.

"Hey Codsworth," Mason said as he walked up to him. He grinned, glad to see him.

"Mister Black," Codsworth said, greeting the man happily as he stepped up. "Welcome back sir! I do hope you were able to find some assistance in Concord."

"I guess you could say I made a few friends," Mason remarked.

"Can't have enough of those these days. I realize that I'm no Mr. Gutsy, but if needed, I'd be honored to accompany you throughout the Commonwealth. Just say the word!"

"Of course. I don't mind you coming along," Mason said, glad to have another companion traveling with him.

"As you wish sir," Codsworth said, happy to be traveling with them.

"We'll have some people settling in soon, so we'll need to make more mattresses. You up for the challenge?"

"Of course sir."

As Codsworth went to grab the cloth, Mason grabbed the wood and steel they'd need, and when everything was together, they got to work. It took them a few hours, and soon they had made the five mattresses they'd need for the others. They put the mattresses in the house across the street from Mason's. After that, they got to work on a doghouse for Dogmeat when they were in Sanctuary and began working on a second one as well if they found another dog. Looking down the street, he saw the group coming up, and he waved to them as they came up.

"So, you're big without the armor," Sturges laughed as they came by. "Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

"It's not that surprising. I have to eat a lot to maintain this size," Mason remarked as he finished nailing the last shingle on the doghouse. "It ain't easy, but I assume you'd know that."

Before Sturges could say anything, Garvey came up to them.

"Hey, it's good to see you again. I was hoping you'd show up," Garvey greeted him brightly. "I should've listened to Mama Murphy all along. Pretty nice place you've got set up here. Do you think we can settle down here, make it a place to call home?"

"Of course. I'd have to be a jack cul to kick you out of this place when there's more than enough room for the lot of yah. It's just odd for me to be back. It was nice living here before the war," Mason said, remembering visiting the city at least once a year growing up for baseball games.

"What do you mean? Before what war? Are you saying..."

Taking a deep breath, Mason sighed before he answered the man. "I lived here... over two hundred years ago. I was... frozen or something for most of it. Just woke up a little while ago."