Chapter 29: Getting a Clue

"Putain de salope!" Mason roared, holding a Molerat Queen up by the throat as he stabbed it in the head. "I got no time for games." Pulling the blade out, Mason threw it into the head of another molerat as it bit into his leg armor.

BANG! BANG!

Firing two rounds, Jackson looked at the General, still surprised by something he'd witnessed earlier.

"Dang, General. First it was the Deathclaw earlier, now these molerats? Most people need guns. Large ones for Deathclaws."

"All I did was hold it back as you shot its stomach," Mason responded.

"That isn't normal. Heck, people in Power Armor are afraid of Deathclaws."

"Must be a different breed of deathclaws. These ones aren't too strong."

"Fair enough. The worst stories do come from the west." Reloading his pistol, Jackson looked to Mason. "Is there a particular reason you'd prefer I call you General outside of settlements and cities?"

"You never know who's listening. And if this Institute is as advanced as they're made out to be, they could be watching. It's why I prefer to take the helmet off indoors and in cities instead of in regions that aren't safe."

After climbing down the stairs to the road below, Mason looked around, looking at a turret that had been destroyed.

"He took out the targeting computer with one bullet. He's a crack shot."

"I can't deny that," Jackson remarked. "It's something I can do, but I've been training to use a gun since I was eight."

"I see... How old are you?"

"Twenty-one. Been told I look older."

"You do," Mason said before his eyes landed on something that made him growl. Walking over to a pipe on the wall, he picked up some bloody rags off of it, sure it was from Kellog. Calling Dogmeat over, Mason bent down, holding the rag out. "Find that bastard."

Hearing Dogmeat bark, Mason followed him, going up the nearby stairs.

"Merde!" Mason yelled, catching a mongrel by the mouth as it tried to bite him. Grabbing its snout, Mason tore the creature off his arm, throwing it back as its buddies joined. "We got mongrels!"

Pulling out his knife, Mason got ready as the mongrels surrounded him, coming from the nearby woods, two coming from a nearby bush.

"Well, isn't this interesting," Mason growled, holding his blade out. "Well come on!"

Pushing the first one to jump to the side, Mason stabbed the second one in the pit as it jumped at him, blood pouring onto him.

BANG! BANG!

Firing two rounds from his rifle, Jackson took down two of them, hurrying out of the staircase to help Mason.

"Come on motherfuckers!" Jackson yelled, grinning ear to ear as he fired another round. "Let's see what you got!"

BANG! BANG!

Grabbing another mongrel by the throat as it jumped, Mason clenched it in his hand, digging his fingers in as blood was drawn.

"Putain de merde," Mason growled. "Vous êtes combien de merdes?" Dropping the mongrel as it struggled to breathe, Mason kicked another back as Heather and Nick joined them.

Byoom! Byoom! Byoom! Bang!

Helping take down the mongrels, Nick and Heather fired at them as well, missing very few shots, though Jackson was a notably better shot, not missing any of his shots. With every shot he took, it nearly met its mark, and if it didn't, it still hit some part of the mongrel.