Chapter 24: The Detective

Stepping into the vault, Mason was aware they'd have to fight. For one thing, there were more of those people here. For another, someone yelled, wondering why the door was opening. Regardless, Mason couldn't be stealthy with the armor, keeping the others behind him as he moved forward. As he stepped off the walkway, three people came from around the shelf to his left, two exiting a room to his right.

"Fuck!" one yelled, the suit hitting the ground. "What happened to the other guys?!"

"Fuck if I know!" another yelled. "Fill him with lead!"

Getting behind the shelves, they began shooting at Mason between them, leading to him questioning their sanity. How did a shelf keep them safe?

Ramming his shoulder and arm into the shelf, it slammed into the men, pushing them back into the wall. With their ribs breaking from the impact and guns clattering, the supplies falling with them.

As he turned, Mason saw two bodies had fallen, the fifth person hiding in the room. Before he could take a step forward, his head bent to the right, a bat catching him by surprise.

"Shit!" one of the men yelled, swinging for Mason's stomach. "Just die already!"

Catching the bat in his hand, Mason pushed the man back, wrenching the bat from his hands. Stumbling back, the man hit his head on the wall, falling to the ground as he clutched his head.

Swinging the bat, Mason hit the man in the head, catching him in the temple with the corner.

Pulling the bat from the guy's head, Mason turned to the others, noticing a look of surprise on Piper's face.

"What?" Mason questioned, already moving the shelf. Would be hard to collect the supplies with it covering them.

"She's probably surprised with how easy you killed the guy with a bat," Heather remarked. "Most of the time, people take three or four hits."

"Ain't hittin' 'em with the right part," Mason stated. "Hit 'em with the corner. Gonna cause more damage."

Knowing they'd be coming back through there, he went ahead and strapped a duffel bag to the back of the suit, knowing it'd save time. After securing it, they continued forward.

"So I got a question: Why the hell would anyone build a vault out of a subway station? This place is like... the opposite of air-tight," a man questioned as Mason neared a hallway. He wondered that too before remembering what some people would do.

"Because they weren't planning to use it, you moron!" a ghoul remarked. "We used to pull this kind of con all the time back before the war."

Looking into the room, Mason saw four men standing around, talking to each other.

"Get a bunch of Union boys to work some construction job that would go nowhere. Keep everyone on payroll," another ghoul said.

As he stepped through the door, the room thundered as the foot hit the ground, making the men jump in surprise as they aimed their guns.

"Damn it! Kill the bastard!" one of them yelled, Mason walking forward.

Putting his hand beside a crate, he pushed it forward when one ejected the drum of their gun. Propelling it forward, the men dive back behind the walls as one got hit by the crate, catching the guy in the arm.

Charging forward, as they aimed their weapons, Mason threw his arm out to his right, sending one of them flying back into the wall. As his arm slammed into the wall, the armor swerved, smashing, slamming face-first into it. As the other three moved to try to penetrate the armor, Mason looked at the conditions of it, knowing he'd have to repair it before he got to the Castle. As he tried to pull his arm out of the wall, one of the men died as he turned the frame, his free arm hitting him.