Chapter 5: Returning the Favor

After emptying the junk from his bag the next day, taking care of Heathers and Codsworth's as well, putting it away by the workbench they had, he walked up to Katherine's husband, who was tending to some crops.

"Can I help you," the man said as Mason walked up to him.

"Not me necessarily," Mason answered, holding some armor for the man. "I got you some armor, but I need you to be the... the provisioner, between here and Sanctuary."

"Look, I understand that you helped us, but I need to stay here to keep my wife safe."

"I recognize your concern, but how are you going to keep her safe without more people? I'm not asking you to do it permanently, just until you get more people. Until you've got more, I need you to do this so communications are open," Mason informed him. "Without someone to inform us if you need help with something, we can't do it. And without communication, neither you nor your wife will be safe."

The man rubbed his fingers over his mouth, thinking it over for a minute. "I don't like the idea of leaving her here alone. But I do see reason behind what you're saying." As he mulled over it, he turned to Mason. "So once we have more people, I can have someone else do this... provisioner job?'

"Of course. I wouldn't want to keep someone away from their spouse for too long."

"Alright," the man said, collecting the armor and clothing from Mason. "I'll go let my wife

know. I assume you'll be showing me the way?"

"Of course," Mason responded. "I have to go talk to Garvey, so after you get ready, we'll head out."

"Thank you," the man said and walked over to the shed where Katherine was. As the man talked to her, Heather spoke up.

"That was good. Most would hurt someone for questioning them."

"He lives to keep what he cares about safe," Mason remarked. "Reminds me of a quote my squad and I would live by, say before every battle. 'The true soldier, fights not because he hates what's in front of him, but because he loves what's behind him.'"

"Deep. Where'd you learn that from?"

"When I joined the regiment. Never heard of it before then," Mason remarked, a faraway look in his eyes. While he was staring, he felt something pat his shoulder and saw Heather's hand.

"Hey, you okay?" She questioned as the man came back, armor put on.

"Yeah," Mason responded before turning to the man. "You ready to go?"

"Yeah. I let her know I'd be gone for a few days," the man told him.

"Alright, let's get moving," Mason said, shouldering his bag as he put his helmet on. As they walked down the hill, They saw a two-headed cow, and after checking the name, Mason turned to Heather.

"You know who Ol' Girl belongs to, Casdin?" Mason questioned as he looked at the creature.

"Lucas Miller. He mostly trades armor pieces, saying it saves 'many a wastelander. He's up at Tenpines Bluff."

"Can you take her up there? We'll wait for you by the road."

"On it."

Once Heather was out of earshot, and the man turned to Mason and spoke up.

"She's a nice woman. It's understandable why she follows you.""

"Because she's looking for something," Mason remarked. "We don't know each other all that well. Just met her two days ago."