Chapter 27: The Marksman and Combat Zone

"We'll talk more about your position and role in the Minutemen when we get back," Mason told Alice as he prepared to leave the Castle. It had taken them two days to get back to the Castle, and with Alice's help, it'd taken a day to build the generator. And she'd made a useful device for them, though Mason couldn't use it at the moment.

"Can I start work on a... prototype, until you get back?"

"Of course, Alice. Just help finish fixin' up the place first," Mason told her, Alice pouting in response.

"You're no fun."

Turning to leave, Mason came face to face with Preston.

"Garvey, you're in charge until I get back. Hopefully it won't take long. Maybe a week at the most." When Mason said this, Preston took a deep breath, thankful the General trusted him. "I trust you to keep the place safe while I work with that detective."

"I won't let you down, General," Garvey said, Mason shaking his hand.

"I know you won't."

After Mason got done talking to him, he put on his helmet, feeling lighter after Alex had fixed it. Turning to Piper and Heather, Mason addressed them.

"You two ready to head out?"

"Ready when you are, Blue."

"Of course. We're going to see the detective."

"Alright. Hey Dogmeat!" Mason called out, Dogmeat coming over to him. "Let's go, boy."

Woof!

Grinning, Mason started walking, the others following him as he strapped on his helmet. Chuckling to himself, Mason spoke up.

"I guess I'll be wearin' this for one more week. I had expected to be retirin' it." When he said that, Piper looked confused, while Heather was curious. "Mr. Carter apparently made it protect better against lasers. He also said somethin' that worries me."

"What'd he say?"

"He said I won't like what I learn. Not when I find the man I'm lookin' for."

"Do you think that may have been a warning, Blue?"

"Could be. But I still have to find this man regardless. He took my son."

Mason saw movement ahead as they approached Gwinnett Brewery and took out Overseer's.

"Mirelurks," Mason informed them. "Four of 'em. Heather, take Dogmeat with you, there's two on the side. Piper, stay with me."

As Heather took Dogmeat with her, Mason addressed Piper, pointing out vital information.

"When their backs are turned like they are right now," he pointed out, noting how their shells were turned towards them. "Aim for the legs. Otherwise you're wasting ammunition. You go for the left one, I'll go for the right."

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Pulling the trigger, Mason fired a shot into the further mirelurk while Piper fired two shots.

"Here we go," Mason growled, the Mirelurks turning to charge at them. "Piper, stay behind me."

Bang!

Shooting one of the two mirelurks, Mason got ready as the other one came charging. Swinging forward, Mason bashed the Mirelurk in the face, sending it reeling back. Not giving it time to recover, he aimed his rifle before- Bang!

"How long have you been able to shoot?" Piper questioned Mason as he turned to see Heather and Dogmeat coming back.

"Always," he told her. "Have a hard time using it against living things recently. Though it doesn't seem to be the case with predators anymore."