Chapter 23: The Fens and Vault 114

After taking care of some raiders on a shipwreck as they crossed the bridge, it didn't take long for them to take care of them. Though they were gonna have to stop into Diamond City for Power Armor repairs. It was fortunate Mason had already been planning to stay there for the night; otherwise, he would've been annoyed. As they continued toward the stadium, Mason decided they'd sell the spare armor and weapons they had to collect the junk he needed.

Fortunately, there weren't any Super Mutants to fight; otherwise, Mason would have knocked down the boards and sandbags the guards used for cover. Entering the ballpark, a few of the guards commented on the armor, a few complimenting it. As he saw Piper's sister, he walked up to her, seeing her handing out papers.

"Special edition of the paper, read up!" the kid said, handing some papers to Mason. Taking a quick look at it, he realized it was just some of the stuff he'd lived through, so there was no point in reading it. "So, what are you doing in Diamond City anyway?"

"Just lookin' for someone," Mason responded, not seeing Piper around. She was probably inside.

"Let me guess, that someone's gone missing, right? That's what I'm telling ya. So, who is it?"

That was... surprising. Mason was gonna come back later to see if someone could help find Shaun, but he may as well ask now.

"A baby boy. Kidnapped," Mason told her. Even if she was a kid, they surprisingly knew a lot. Didn't mean she needed to know the relation between him and Shaun.

"A baby? Wow. That's a new one. Usually it's adults. Hmm. You're in bad luck. No one tris to find missing people in Diamond City. Missing people means the Institute is involved. And no one wants to get the Institutes attention."

"You're a smart kid. Isn't there someone in town who isn't afraid of this Institute?"

"Well, there is a detective, Mister Nick Valentine. He's not afraid of anything. If anyone's going to help you, it's him."

"If his business card ain't shaped like a heart, Imma be disappointed." Mason remarked, noting that the name sounded familiar.

"Yeah. I'm definitely sending you to the right place. Good luck mister," the kid laughed.

"See ya around, kid," Mason said, turning to look around the market. Finding the Power Armor station by the crazy woman, Mason hopped out of it, pulling the core out, and walked up to Arturo.

"Hey, Arturo," Mason greeted, walking up with a smile. "Got armor and ammunition. Yours if you want 'em."

"That's my line, new guy," Arturo laughed. "Don't forget to stock up on ammunition you need."

"Of course," Mason stated, setting the spare armor on the countertop. "Be a waste of the trip otherwise." Even if it wasn't the purpose of coming to Diamond City, it was a nice bonus.

"Too bad you ain't got a revolver," Mason remarked, collecting the caps owed. "I'd pay a decent amount for one."

"You'll find one eventually," Arturo stated. "At least you know what suits you."

"When it comes to handguns, got a preference for revolvers. Pack the kick of a horse."

"Not gonna hear any argument from me."

"You're a smart man. Got any preference?"

"Sure I do. But that's information you'll have to pry from me. Can't be giving away all my secrets."

"Well, thanks for the ammunition," Mason told him, walking over to the crazy one he'd talked to after his interview with Piper.

"I suppose we can do business," the woman said, mason already looking through her stuff and counting caps. "We have everything you need."