Chapter 19: The Sinkhole and Vault 75

"Meant creamery," Mason remarked as they walked down the road, leaving the asylum. "Creamery sounds like cemetery, and my brain likes to change cemetery to graveyard."

"What does this creamery look like, Mason?" Curie asked.

"A shack," Mason remarked. "Don't know why they called it one. Doesn't look like it."

Walking up the hill, Mason noticed Heather was shivering and stopped.

"Everything fine?" Mason asked, already digging through his bag.

"Just a bit cold."

"Well, here," Mason remarked, handing her his jacket. "Don't need you catching a cold. Wear this until we get one your size."

Mason turned away as she put the jacket on, listening for any enemies.

"Six enemies to the North," Mason informed them, putting his helmet on. "Sounds like machines. Two on treadmills, one on legs, three are eyebots." Putting his knuckles on, Mason got ready for the fight. "Should be easy enough."

Reaching the creamery, Mason immediately stepped in front of Heather, laser hitting his shoulder, followed by one hitting his stomach.

"Not... nice, putain de mère," Mason growled, Curie backing up as he did. Charging forward, Mason targeted the eyebot that had shot him. Grabbing the nearest one as it tried to shoot him, Mason brought his fist down, slamming it into the ground, breaking its propulsion system. Stomping on it, Mason broke it to pieces, turning to his original target.

Charging towards one that looked like an assaultron, Mason caught its arm as it swung its blade, redirecting it to miss him. Punching it in the back of the head, Mason sent it staggering forward. He used to spar with assaultrons in training, despite the regulations against it. Always kept him on his feet.

"Military should've programmed you better," Mason growled, and the assaultron charged again.

Catching its standard arm, Mason pushed it back, punching its face in the process. It tried to use its laser's on him, Mason forcing its claws close, making it blow them off.

"Thirty years too early," Mason commented, putting his fist through another eyebot.

Starting up its laser eye, the assaultron aimed it at Mason as a bot with treadmills charged at Mason. Jumping behind it, Mason placed his hands on its shoulders, the arms wrapping around his, trying to crush them like a snake as it tried to push him back. Mason's feet dug into the ground, stopping it in its tracks.

The assaultron fired its eye, hitting the bot Mason was holding, the heat of the laser nearly burning Mason's hands through his gloves. Fortunately, there'd be no lasting damage, but his arms did go numb, which wasn't stopping him. With blood rushing through his veins, when the bot he was holding went limp, Mason jumped back as the assaultron charged. Pulling his fist back, Mason slammed it into the side of the head as he went to a knee, his hands feeling like they were on fire.

Taking off his gloves, Mason looked at the damage, taking deep breaths. The skin on his knuckles and fingers had turned red, a few spots bumpy as well.

"Remind me not to piss you off," Heather commented, coming up behind Mason when she noticed his hand. "Damn it. Was it the assaultron?"

"Yeah," Mason groaned as Heather began taking care of the wounds. "Fortunately, just first degree burns."

Looking through her materials, Heather cleaned the wounds, and after wrapping them, injected half a stimpak into each hand.

When Mason looked at the assaultron, he saw the head hanging on by a tube, making an incoherent noise.

"Thanks," Mason said, still wincing from the pain. "Didn't have to do that."