Chapter 21: Malden Center and BOS Recon Team

After dropping all the stuff that needed to be taken to Sanctuary, they left Greentop after sorting out the provisioner situation. Fortunately, they'd found materials needed for a beacon, so Mason had spent half an hour writing down the plans before handing them to Chelsea.

"For a beacon," Mason told her, putting away his empty duffel bags. "Set it up when you get the chance. "I'll be back by the end of the day."

"Do we have the materials?"

"Brought 'em in last night. Already had most of the parts, I just had to bring some crystals."

"Alright then."

Shouldering his bag, Mason made sure the others were ready before they began walking. They were going to the center that day to take care of the synth situation. Traders could travel safely if they had to worry about getting attacked. Making sure his weapons were loaded as they walked, Curie hovered nearby.

"Excuse me, Mason?" Curie questioned.

"You alright?"

"On the whole, no, I am not. I have spent much effort gathering information in our travels so far." Wasn't surprising. They'd been traveling together for a little over a week—a lot to learn in that time. "And my self-diagnostics have come to a grim conclusion. It is not lack of data or lack of collaboration which stifles my scientific progress." That is a bit confusing. Mason should teach her to use what most people consider 'normal' language. "The inescapable truth is there has never been a great robot scientist."

True. But machines like Mr. Handy weren't invented until forty years before the bombs fell. "I doubt the research is bad."

"You are polite to say this. But if something does not change, my efforts will be mere stagnation." He didn't get how, but considering she's smarter than Mason was regarding science, he'd have to take her word for it. "The greatest scientific minds of history, the Einsteins and the Curies, my namesake, have had something beyond raw data analysis capabilities." That's true. Typically because humans try to be the center of attention most of the time. But Mason never really paid attention in science class and never went to college, so he wouldn't know anything beyond the basics. "They have had a spark. This elusive inspiration is something I must possess." That was confusing. What was she going on about?

"Starting to worry me," Mason told her honestly.

"There is no need. If I am to advance my understanding of medicine, I must embark on a great adventure." This was going into territory Mason didn't want to explore. "I must become human, or as close as I can. I must find a way to download all that I am into a human brain."

Yeah, he knew he wouldn't like this. The closest thing a machine could be to humans is a synth from what he knew of, and you could still tell their machines. Not only that, but Heather hated synths, so he wasn't sure if turning Curie into one was a good idea. "You don't have to be an Einstein to help. The world needs doctors."

"Those that know things, guard them jealously. The Brotherhood of Steel, the Institute, they horde knowledge." I'm guessing she doesn't like the Institute or Brotherhood. "The only way we will progress as a society is in the free flow of ideas." He guessed. The Institute and Brotherhood definitely didn't take well to outsiders gaining their knowledge if their allegiance wasn't with them. Others simply just didn't bother to tell others what they knew. Mason didn't share knowledge on fighting because he didn't have the time. "If you find someone, a brain surgeon, an artificial intelligence programmer, or someone who is an expert in matters of the head, please bring me to them."

"Alright," Mason told her with a grin, sighing on the inside. "Anything you need."

Approaching the center's doors, Mason noticed two raiders bodies leaning against the entrance wall. He wasn't surprised they were dead but that they weren't ash. Looking around, he found an assault rifle by one of the bodies, the condition surprisingly well. Searching the nearest, he collected some ammunition off of it, which added to the amount he already had. Gunners really like using these. Putting Overseer's away for the time, Mason loaded the new rifle, making sure to have magazines prepared if he used one up.