Chapter Twenty-Seven (Lysander's POV)

I didn't go to school the next day. And it turned out that Julia didn't go, either.

I honestly don't know what I feel right now. Hartley, my girlfriend, was a jealous monster.

I had a girlfriend - Hartley was every guy's dream girl- pretty, tall, smart, nice. Well, not much of the smart part. But don't tell her that, or else you've just killed me. I'm so awesome you probably don't want to kill me.

Buuuuuuuut...

She was pretty possessive. And popular. And gossipy. And your-every-day queen bee of a school.

Pretty sure the bad things weighed more than the good. But I still stayed with her.

Later I didn't have the same feelings as I did before we started dating - and it was her that confessed.

Weeeeeelll... she didn't do it.

It went something like this:

Her: Hey, Cutie.

I didn't even know she was talking to me until she made eye contact with me. Just insert facepalm here.

Me: Hi?

Her: You look lost.

Me: You look like the one that's lost. The one that's sitting at my table when your friends are frantically searching for you like you got kidnapped?

She laughed. That was one of the first signs that let me know she wasn't like any other girl I've seen.

Her: That was funny. I was laughing.

Me: Well, duh, you were obviously crying in pain because it was funny.

I kinda was having fun, too. And that's when she told me.

Her: Hey, wanna date?

Yeah. It took me less than a second to say yes. Because at that time, Julia was gone.

Those three words. That changed me forever.

Funny thing was, she didn't sound nervous and said it so casually that it would be weird for someone to say no.

But after a while, I didn't feel the same feelings I had for her before.

I'm pretty sure what hurt the most was that she didn't look or even feel sad or disappointed when I broke up with her.

I said, "Hartley, I- I don't think we're working out."

She didn't really care because she was half listening to another guy. I didn't know what came over me - to make this stupid decision that didn't even end up good and I had lost a friend.

Hartley told me that was because I was the only one working out in the gym and she was the one that was making Tiktoks.

I have no idea what made me say that she was smart. She was just about a smart as a donkey. Fine, I'll give her mercy. She's as smart as a donkey and a jellyfish combined.

I am totally not telling you that jellyfish don't have brains.

Totally not.

"So, what are you saying? We're... breaking up?" She asked, pretending to care even though a bit of annoyance seeped into her voice.

"Yeah. I'm not saying you're not good- you're awesome, but-" She cut me off.

She turned around and smiled at me. "Now that you have your point and we aren't together anymore, get your hiney out of here before I kick you. Shh, I need to hear what Bryson's saying."