the boogie man

"Dyin' in our sleep, we're living out a dream
We only make it out alone"

Song- "Hollywood's Bleeding" by Post Malone

Evelyn's Pov:

"I can not believe that lady thought you were hitting on her husband," I laughed as me and my coworkers stepped out onto the empty sidewalks. The air shifted around us from being inside a warm bar to the brisk chill of the night, picking up the stray hairs from my bun and carrying them into my eyesight.

"I know and he was so old, I would never. I was just trying to tell him our drink specials," Miranda said as she locked the doors to the bar and yanked on the handles to check if they were secure.

"She thought you were offering him your specials," I teased, causing her to roll her eyes and gag.

"Nights like tonight really make me question why I bartend," she said and I agreed with a hum.

"Do you guys work tomorrow night?" Adrian asked as he pulled out his car keys and repetitively hit the unlock button.

"I'll be here, like always," I answered with a sigh.

"I'm off, but I work Saturday," Miranda said as she walked over to her small two-door car.

"Alright, I'll see you guys then," I said with a wave in their direction.

"Evelyn, are you sure you don't want a ride?" Adrian offered like he always does, but I shook my head like I always do.

"How many times am I going to have to tell you I don't mind walking until you get it?" I laughed. We go through this same thing every night, Adrian and Miranda take turns on offering to take me home after work, but I always turn them down because I don't like to be a burden.

"Until you give in and let one of us take you home, Evie," Miranda said as she opened up her car door and propped her arm up on the top.

"I walk home every night, it's not that far. I'll be fine, like always," I told them as I began walking backwards in the way to my complex, "plus, I don't want you guys going out of your way."

"We don't mind, Evie," Adrian said with a pout, but I shook my head.

"Don't worry, I have a pepper spray," I pulled out a little can from my coat pocket and shook it at them.

"Pepper spray doesn't fight off the boogie man," Miranda yelled, but I rolled my eyes and waved at them again before turning around.

"See you guys next shift," I yelled back as I walked off, hearing them yell a goodbye quickly after.

I pulled my coat closer around my body as I began my walk back to my apartment building. It was early October, which meant cooler weather here in London. During the days it'd be cool, but with the sun out it'd be bearable with a long sleeve or a light jacket. But at night, the air gets crisper and a nippy chill bites at any exposed skin you have.