apologies

"So they pull back, make other plans
I understand, I'm a liability
Get you wild, make you leave"

Song- "Liability" by Lorde

TW- Domestic Violence
——————————————-

Have you ever been to a dinner party full of pompous lawyers that all think they're better than one another?

Because I'm halfway through one right now, and I seriously don't recommend.

Here I was excited to celebrate my husband's huge promotion in taking over his father's firm, but I feel like tonight has turned into a contest in showing off who is the better lawyer here.

There's around ten of us here. Derek and I, Derek's self-centered parents, then three other lawyers and their spouses— who happen to all work at a law firm, too.

So naturally I, being the only one in the room who has a job outside of law, feel a little bit out place here when everyone starts talking over each other about their most impressive cases.

I took off work today to prepare this large, over the top meal for everyone tonight, just for it to be ignored because of all this arguing. But hey, put a bunch of lawyers in a room together and what do you think would happen?

I sit back against my chair and cross my arms over my chest, tugging on the long sleeves of my chunky knit sweater I have over my dress. The scowl on my face is pretty obvious, but it's not like anyone is paying attention to me to see.

I don't think anyone has said anything to me since they greeted me when coming inside my home. But if they were talking to me, it wouldn't be much better. Usually, all of Derek's friends and family like to take shots at my job.

As if I don't help save lives on a day to day basis.

But whatever, keep arguing on wether or not that man really did run that red light three months ago.

"Oh god, can we talk about that case I had last week where this girl had went over the speed limit, proceeded to ignore the cop, and-"

"Or we could talk about how Derek is twenty-four and running his own firm?" I interrupt one of Derek's friends, Mike.

Sure, Derek is only getting the firm because his father is retiring, but it's still the reason we all came together for this intolerable dinner.

The room falls silent and all eyes go to me, Derek awkwardly laughs and throws an arm around my shoulders. He tugs my chair closer to him from under the table and I feel his warm hand start to rub against my upper back and sneak under my curled hair.