a day of normalcy

"In my head there's sirens, warning me of pain
Will this be the night that I make things right?
Or make thing wrong?"

Song- "Sinking Ship" by The Backseat Lovers

(I usually suggest songs at the beginning of the chapters, but this one goes with this chapter so well, please go listen to get deeper in your feels)

________________

Waking up with my skin stuck to a leather couch was not how I planned my morning

Waking up with my skin stuck to a leather couch was not how I planned my morning. And waking up with Luke being curled up behind me, was also not how I planned it.

But I'm certainly not complaining.

Maybe I'm complaining a little about my face being practically glued to the leather on the couch or the fact that I was in a weird shape all last night causing my lower back to ache, but I'm not complaining about waking up next to Luke.

This was the second time I've slept next to him, and both times it's given me a sense of peace knowing that he was right beside me.

The first night we slept in the same bed we didn't touch, we faced each other all night only centimeters apart, but we had no contact with each other. Last night was completely different, curled up on this couch  together, there was no way we couldn't keep our hands to ourselves.

It started with Luke laying down in my lap as I tried to soothe away the pain he was enduring. My hands were stroking through his tough curls, streaming down gently past his neck and his arm. It stayed like that until his chest fell into a rhythmic calm pattern of breathing, and his frown slowly washed into a calm expression.

I'm not sure exactly when I fell asleep after that, but I definitely wasn't getting up and leaving after how he fell asleep.

And somehow during the night, we've shifted into this position. Luke's chest is pressed up against my back, my body slotting right into his like a puzzle piece, his long arm slung over me and keeping my body to him like a blanket.