nightmares

"I'll let it go
I'll cut the strings
Today, I'm fine"

Song- "That's On Me" by Mac Miller

WARNING- This chapter contains domestic violence! If you want to skip over it, then go past the italics!
_______________________________

WARNING- This chapter contains domestic violence! If you want to skip over it, then go past the italics!_______________________________

I slide my key into into the doorknob and turn it until the lock clicks. I push my tired body up against the door and it opens gently and I slide into the dark house.

It's around five in the morning, so Derek should be fast asleep right now, waiting for his alarm to wake him up in about an hour.

My mouth breaks open and a yawn slips out as I kick my dirty white tennis shoes off next to the door. I've got a headache buzzing in the back of my head from my tight ponytail that I've had in for hours now, and I release my brown hair from its hold hoping the pressure will start to subside.

I can smell the sterilizing stench of the hospital leftover on my scrubs, and I'd really like to shower in order to get rid of any germs I may have picked up in my shift, but all I can think about is collapsing into bed.

Careful not to make any sounds, I tip toe through the house and over to the master bedroom. I creak the door open, expecting to see a dark room with the body of my sleeping husband in bed, but instead I see a sight that makes my insides twist in fear.

Derek is wide awake and perched on our bed, twirling around something in his fingers that I can't make out. At the movement of the door, his dark brown eyes lift up and land on me in the doorway where I gently smile to him.

He should be asleep. He's usually asleep. Why isn't he asleep?

I open the door the rest of the way and shrug my jacket off my shoulders, letting it rest on hook on the wall. "Hi sweetie, why are you up so early?" I ask, hoping the lightness in my tone will ease away his frown.

I know that look on his face all too well. It's something that's burned in my mind and haunts me everywhere I go. I know that whatever is about to happen, won't be good.

I can try my best to settle him, but once he's set in his mind about something, he won't stop until he believes he's gotten through to me.

"I didn't go to sleep last night," he pauses and looks down at his hands, where I notice the item to be my wedding ring.

Shit.

I know exactly where this is about to go.