no escape

"Deep in the cut, drowning in a pain
Somebody help, 'cause I can't find my way"

Song- "Them Changes" by Thundercat
________________

Song- "Them Changes" by Thundercat ________________

Evelyn's Pov:
January 8th

Luke is in the living room when I see it.

Hidden under a stack of his clothes, barley peaking out from the bottom of the drawer like it had been slightly pushed out from under a pair of his sweats from me tucking away clean laundry into the dresser.

I see the corner of the white slip of paper and my curiosity gets the best of me, because why would there be a piece of paper under his clothes and not on his desk in the living room? I look over my shoulder to check that I'm still alone in the room, my old habits sticking around in my senses as I get an eerie feeling in the pit of my stomach from this.

My thumb wrinkles the corner of the paper as I clutch it hard in my grip and go to sit on the end of the bed to read it. My arm brushes against the plastic basket as I take a seat next to it, I crush a pile of my underwear that I was going to fold as I scoot back to where my feet hangs off and dangles just above the wooden floors.

I wince for a brief second when my thigh rubs against the bed, but the next second the tiny itch of pain eases as my leg is almost healed completely. It's been a few weeks since everything happened and I've done just what the doctor requested of me to hurry my healing process along—barely getting out of the house, take my medication, treat the wounded area, do my rehabilitation exercises, rest— and now, I'm almost like my old self again.

Almost, but not quite.

Don't believe I'll ever be quite the same person I was before that happened, but life goes on and I have to move with it.

It doesn't take me long to look over the sheet of paper and realize what it is, a confirmation sheet for flight information for both Luke and I. What takes me a second to register is where the flight is taking us because I simply have to be mistaken.

There is no way we could be going to San Francisco together, my old home.

No fucking way.

In exactly one week from today, the fifteenth of January.

This must be why he asked me if I had my passport the other day, or why he's been so busy lately with work.

This has to be wrong, Luke wouldn't plan a trip in this time with everything going on and not tell me, would he? No, he wouldn't do that, not unless— Oh, oh god.

No, no, no, no.

My heart suddenly learns how to beat again, only it starts up with a quickening pace. The beat thunders loudly beneath my ribs and rattles my bones, the heart thumping so hard against my chest that I fear bruises will appear on my skin.