two ghosts

"Same lips red, same eyes blue
Same white shirt, couple more tattoos
But it's not you and it's not me"

Song- "Two Ghosts" by Harry Styles
________________

Song- "Two Ghosts" by Harry Styles________________

One Week Later
Evelyn's Pov:

"Al— I swear, I'm alright—"

"Alright? Well, I'm not! You've been worrying me to death, where the hell have you been? I've been trying to get ahold of you for over two weeks!"

Allie is rightfully chewing me out over the phone as I sit in my newest home, the spacious apartment Luke moved us into when I was gone. This now being my third home in the last few months.

"I was sick," I sheepishly say as I plop down on the plush couch in the middle of the room, "for awhile."

"What the hell did you have? The plague?" Allie harshly questions.

I can see where she's upset. When I finally got my phone back, I had a countless amount of messages and missed phone calls from her. If things were the other way around, then I would've turned her in for a missing person.

Being "sick" is no excuse for avoiding her, but being held captive definitely is. I just can't exactly tell her that's the reason I jumped off the face of the earth for two weeks.

And while I was in the hospital all this past week, I really wasn't in the right headspace to call her up and fake a happy voice, tell her that all is well in my life when it's the opposite. I'm still not in that headspace, but now that I'm outside of those stark hospital walls, I feel like I can actually breathe a little.

Luke brought me here today since I was discharged a few hours earlier. It was definitely an adjustment coming here after living out of a hospital bed for too long, but I'm definitely glad to not be back in that house that's now tainted with bad memories.

Anywhere is better than there.

This place is still spacious for being a one bedroom apartment, it could fit two of mine and Allie's old place in here. The interior is beautiful, with it's dark modern designs and sleek details. It'll take some getting used to, but I think it'll be best for us to be here.

I especially like the safety of this apartment. Despite having neighbors all around us, Luke assured me that only a handful of people knows that we live here.We're on the top floor, but I somehow feel better about having multiple floors filled with people to get to our home, like we're sandwiched in between them all and it'll be easy for us to be overlooked.

"It was just a really bad case of the flu," I say to Allie after a second of being in thought, "I had to be in the hospital."

I don't want Allie accidentally finding out about my recent hospital stay and not being able to work around the lie, so I figure it's best to tell her this now and not risk potential turmoil for the future.