BattleField

This Chapter is dedicated to hella_belle for being such a good friend, and listening to all my crud. Hope you have a good day! 

Brooks pov-

Arriving home for the first time, after three days in the hospital, should have been a relief. Instead it's like a ton of bricks falling on my chest, to remind me of what happened. The living room is under repair, the atmosphere is dull and everything is fuzzy. 

  It's like a battlefield, the drills and tools are the weapons screaming in rage. The fog is the mist covering the discarded, and those who lay fallen. The left over objects from the man are the bullets and shells, scattering the ground. The envelope shinning in the sunlight, like the end of the war.

  "The envelope!" I whisper to myself. Remembering how the man dropped it, like the final and most devastating bomb of the war.

    Rushing outside, I head towards the bush as if it were an ice cream truck. Leaning down at the bush, I examine the letter before picking it up. The white envelope is thick, with a red seal pressed into it, keeping it securely closed. At first I think it's from Ericsson's parents, trying to make sure I don't sue them. But why would they go through all the trouble, only to make themselves criminals to? Afraid to open the envelope, I slowly walk inside staring at the envelope the whole time. Not letting it disappear from my sight, like the perpetrator had.

 "What you got there?" Derek asks. But I simply ignore him. My grip tightening as I reach the kitchen.

  "Seriously Brooke, what do you have?" Derek persists. His voice gruff, and deep as he gets annoyed with me. 

"An envelope." I quietly answer. My voice distant, and low.

"Well duh. But who's it from?" Derek inquires. Rubbing his neck, he stares down at me expecting a reaction.

 But he doesn't receive one, I simply grab a knife and tear it open. Dumping the contents, I turn around and stare at him. Ever so slowly I open my mouth, and whisper "Ericsson."

 "What are you doing!?" Derek shouts. Rushing towards me. His face is disgruntled, as I go to dump everything in the garbage disposal.

 I'm just about to drop everything, and start the disposal when he grips my arms. Quickly pulling me back, and into a hug. Derek slowly moves us both away from the sink, trying not to bump into anything. The whole time I'm crying, and he's gently rubbing my back trying to calm me down.

 The next thing I know, we're on the floor and I'm sitting in Derek's lap.

 "Open your hands." He orders. His hair tickling my face, as he leans down so he can see my face.

"Open them Brooke Now!" He demands. His voice initiative, and dark. I could tell by the look on his face, that he wasn't going to give up. But being the stubborn person I am I didn't crumble.

 "Fine. Have it that way then." Derek grunts. Prying my hands open, Derek sighs as I finally let loose. Going limp in his arms, as it all falls to the ground. 

 "You should've taken it straight to the police." Derek whispers. His voice low, and soft.

 Laying on the ground in-front of us is a bundle of objects. A letter lays on the bottom of a picture, a ring I had lost, a glass heart, and the charm bracelet I was wearing the day of the incident. Underneath the letter lye pictures of Ericsson, throughout the two months before the attempted murder.

 "My gosh Brooke. What have you gotten yourself into?" Derek questions. His eyebrows scrunching together.

"Don't you know?" I whisper. Looking up at him. My eyes dark, and old surprising him, as if he'd never seen such eyes before.