A place to stay

Brookes pov-

its November the fifth today, and the Christmas decorations begin to flood out of homes. Lights start swirling around houses, and the trees surrounding the yards. The smell of Christmas baking fogs the neighborhood. Aurora is playing with Belle, while Derek and I sit on the porch, calculating the cost of repairing the house. Liam's putting up the Christmas lights on the house, Cody's joining the girls tea party. While Cody's parents are packing, for their anniversary vacation, to Florida.

"Thanks again, for letting us stay here Cody." I say again. For the past two hours, I've been repeatedly thanking him.

"Once again it's no problem." Cody states. Before going back to having a tea party.

"I know." I reply softly. Watching everyone begin so carefree.

"It's going to be fine." Derek console's I know it's supposed to be comforting but its not

I nod my head, before going back to observing.

There's different colored leaves covering the ground, while brown leaves cling to the branches they live on. The ground is freezing, and the animals who hibernate are all getting ready. While mice try to sneak their way into people's homes.

The sky starts to darken, as the day progresses on. Soon enough a fog has settled upon the ground, growing with every hour. The sun is dimming, and the moon brightens. It's definitely a sight to see. The only thing that could make this better, is if the stars were shinning, but the sky is to cloudy to let the stars in.

"You gonna come in?" Cody asks. Carrying Aurora, and Belle inside on his back, with Liam following behind him.

"I'll be inside in a bit." I answer him. As Derek shouts at them to hurry up.

"You sure?" Liam double checks, concern covering his face.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Don't worry." I quickly answer, making myself more comfortable in the swinging bench.

Liam nods, and goes inside. His head is dropped, and his shoulders sag.

The outside lights turn off, and thr Christmas lights replace them.

"Here." Derek whispers. Dropping a blanket on me, before retreating inside.

Smiling I wrap the fuzzy Christmas blanket around myself. Derek must've pulled out the Christmas boxes.

The sound of giggling, and cutlery clinking on plates catches my attention. There's a happy makeshift family sitting inside, laughing and enjoying each others company. While the dark cloud sits outside, afraid to ruin the loving moment going on inside.

"That's all they need. Another tragedy to ruin their day." I sarcastically think to myself.

" I'm breaking this family apart... Aren't I?" I whisper to myself. Hoping someone would hear, but knowing they wouldn't.