- fortynine

Lando walked back into his hotel room. It had been an exhausting day for him, having two practices and being surrounded by people all day because of his birthday. He appreciated all of the attention given and loved that so many people thought of him today, but it was honestly mentally exhausting.

He still had a dinner planned with the team, but he had about two hours to take a nap and get ready. He walked towards his bed, but something in the corner of his eye caught his attention. On his dresser a piece of apple pie and an envelope were placed.

"Dear Lando,

Happy birthday to you <3

I got you a piece of the only
pie you're capable of baking.
This time it's baked by
professionals though, I hope
you will enjoy it :)"

His eyebrows furrowed and he was confused for a second. This seemed like it was coming from Indra, but she was still in Germany, so how did she get it here? She didn't even know in which hotel they were staying.

A knock on the door shook him out of his thoughts. "Roomservice."

Had he asked for roomservice? Still he hurried over to the door to keep the person on the other side not just standing there. When he opened the door, it took him a while to realise what was happening. Right in front of him stood Indra, with some of the drivers behind her to film them. She held a small bouquet of orange flowers he didn't know the name of, but they were as pretty as she was.

Indra was smiling from ear to ear. She adored his reaction when he opened the door. The realisation only hit him when she softly cheered: "Surprise." The German girl opened her arms for him to hug her, and he did. They realised there were multiple phones and maybe also a couple of cameras as well so the hugs didn't last too long.

"What are you doing here?"

"Is that all you can say?" Indra replied with a smirk, implying that she was joking.

Lando remained somewhat serious though as he was questioning her about school. She said that her exams lasted till next Tuesday. "Don't you have exams?"

"No. I finished them today. Like I said, surprise!"

"I am so happy that you're here, thank you." Lando just took her answer for what it was, believing her. He really needed to get more faith in her, he knew that she was an honest person.

"Thanks to all these people behind me as well." Indra grinned, gesturing to among others Carlos and George. Everyone who was in the groupchat was there, as well as Charlotte and some other members of McLaren and some drivers who tagged along on the way.

The others were slowly backing away to leave the two in privacy. They walked into Lando's hotel room and closed the door. There, Lando hugged the girl again. Longer and tighter this time. "Thank you so much for coming, Indra, you have no idea what it means to me."

A couple of tears actually welled up in his eyes and Indra noticed, making her pout. "Don't cry for me, love. I would never be able to forgive myself if I didn't show up at your birthday." she whispered a gently wiped her thumb against his undereye to catch an escaped tear.
    "And I had my last test this morning, so don't you worry about that. It went pretty well actually."

A playful smile was drawn on her face and Lando was smiling as well. "That's good to hear. I'm happy for you. And these are happy tears as well."

"You're tired aren't you?"

A guilty expression washed over the Brit's face and he looked down for a brief moment. "A bit yeah, it's been a long day. Will you be joining me and the team for dinner by the way? That's the only remaining event in the planning today, then we can hang out."