Chapter 10: Stranger In The Dark

Here it is folks. The first time they meet. And it is not a cliche romance novel meeting, so sorry about that. I just wanted it to be unexpected and exciting. I need u guys to tell me if i succeeded. Once again VOTE and COMMENT if you enjoy this chapter. And plz give me ur honest feedback!

CHAPTER 10:

STRANGER IN THE DARK:

The full moon was gleaming overhead, flooding the verdant gardens with dim light. There were no torches out here at night, just the two close to the doorway leading from the inside of the manor house to the gardens at the back. But the moon overhead was more than sufficient to provide enough light for Sarah to see where she was going.

Sarah had no idea what time it was, the feast was still in full swing back inside the Manor house. But Sarah had managed to escape to the gardens only a little while ago, though the Baron probably expected her to be in her bedchamber, fast asleep.

He hadn’t wanted her to leave in the first place; she was supposed to hand out some prizes to the winners of the Vespers tournament that had taken place in the afternoon. It had come as a surprise to Sarah because she had thought the main event would start tomorrow. Evidently the Vespers was a pre-tourney competition for the younger bachelor knights and squires to hone their skills and get some recognition.

Sarah felt bad for abandoning her mother in the hall but enough was enough, she couldn’t take it anymore.  Lady Catherine could hand out the prizes for once.

That bloody slime-ball Richard had been getting more and more touchy-feely as the night progressed and as his blood alcohol levels went up and Sarah didn’t think she could have stayed there any longer without punching the guy in his arrogant face. Luckily she had been able to escape, with a conveniently sudden headache, a woman’s best friend in unpleasant situations. Fortunately the Baron had accepted that excuse and let her go.

She had even managed to smile wanly and suppress her shudder of revulsion when Richard had bid her an oily goodnight, “I shall see you in the morn, Lady Sarah,” he’d crooned seductively “Not if I see you first asshole!”, Sarah had thought viciously, somehow refraining from voicing that thought out loud.

“mmm….Yes, well see you then…” had been Sarah’s noncommittal answer as she had pried her hand out of his clingy grasp and made good her escape.

Twenty minutes later Sarah was feeling much calmer. Coming to the gardens instead of her bedchamber had been a stellar idea. After all, this was her sanctuary. She felt at peace here, among all the fragrant rosebushes and row upon row of colorful daffodils.

Sarah leisurely walked over to the shadowy tear-shaped fresh water pool. She could see the full moon reflected on the smooth surface of the water. It was too dark to see all the fishes swimming about beneath the black surface but Sarah knew they were there, glistening golden carp and a few yellow spotted pike too. Sarah tossed some crumbs into the water ripping them off a piece of bread she had smuggled out of the central hall. The still water sloshed and churned immediately, with a hundred hungry little mouths snapping at the crumbs.

For a blissful moment everything was well with her world, the night was young, the cool night air was invigorating and her heart was at peace.

Then Sarah heard a sound, a faint rustling of the leaves behind her, and fear clasped at her heart. Someone was there. She could sense it,

“Who is there?” Sarah asked alarmed, whirling around to face the empty garden. She got no answer, just the crickets and insects chirped in response.