Chapter 41: A Serpent rears its Head.

Chapter 41:

Alright so this is a short chapter, i know, but it was supposed to be part of the second part of the last one, so in fact if you think about it it is pretty long haha. The reason i didn't put it up there is because chapter 40 was already over 20 pages long, and it was becoming really difficult working on it, i continuously pour over whatever i put up to fix typos, add and subtract things, so it becomes very difficult when chapters get above a certain length, my usual chapters hover around 3000 words give or take a thousand, the last one was 7000!!! so u guys get the gist. But i did it to make you guys happy as i  didn't want to leave u on a cliffhanger. Though I am with this one! 

This one might be small but it is a harbinger of things to come. I left many things up in the air, I know but that is on purpose. For those of you who have forgotten all about Cassandra, well I would read the first half of the book again, her role was short but pretty pivotal(See how i made that work, cue evil laughter lol). 

This last third of the book i decided to pick up the pace several notches, events are definitely coming to a head, and things are about to get serious and also dangerous for Sarah. She is the heroine of the book after all and what is romance without a little action and drama eh? Rest assured the poor girl isn't out of the woods yet. 

Will she make it out alive? What part will iain and the Mclaughlin's play in all this? why is Cassandra such an evil bitch, and what is her plan? and what the heck is Richard doing here? And is Santa ever going to make an appearance?  keep reading to find out:-) (sorry the last bit was really corny but i just couldn't help my self)

As always I want lots of comments and feedback, you guys have to tell me what you think, i hope i am taking you in the right direction.

A Serpent Rears its Head

She looked down into the valley feeling her heart beat quicken just a bit. It wasn't fear that had her break out in a cold sweat though, the emotion making her bow like, rose bud lips slant upwards into a malicious smile, was pure anticipation.

Cassandra dug her heel mercilessly into the muddied, scruffy hide of the nag she rode. It bucked just a bit, neighing in pain, breathing heavily, but she forcefully tamped down the animal's rearing head by pulling hard on the reigns. Dumb beasts as well as men needed a very firm hand. The exhausted animal huffed laboriously, frothing at the mouth, wild eyed. And then it settled down, helpless against its rough treatment.

"What are ye looking at?"

She ignored that gruff voice for a moment.

Too busy staring at the crowd of revellers in the wide open space down below.

They already had hundreds of tents up, with thousands of people, merchant and common folk alike, both English and Scot, mingling freely. 

Even from this distance a plethora of colourful banners were clearly visible, fluttering sinuously in the wind. The sound of laughter and music drifted up into the air, buffeting the valley. As a rush of human bodies milled about, playing games, attending to their raucous children and animals, and haggling over goods. Numerous stalls had already been set up, selling a whole host of goods, from cheap jewellery to meat pies, coin exchanged hands freely.