Chapter 9: The Worst Travel Party

Getting to the portal was more difficult than Xelqua had thought it'd be.

He knew that his group of NPCs weren't the most powerful of the nonplayers out in Hels, but they were the best the Hermitcraft sector of Hels had to offer.

He had really expected them to be more... focused, given the daunting task at hand. From what he had learned through Grian, the actual Hermits were much more intelligent.

Wolf and Holliday had been mostly quiet, but also moved slowly, and stopped often to rest their feet or take in the views. When Xelqua would insist they hurry, he was ignored if not ridiculed back. The absolute audacity had him thrown off.

Glaze wouldn't shut up either, he talked and talked about everything. The flowers, the trees, the helsbeasts, his home, his friends. It made Xelqua want to tear his ears off, but when he told the NPC to shut it, it almost seemed to make him talk more.

Serene hadn't strayed from his side, though she had turned back and snapped at the group a few times, and the others would usually be quiet and continue the journey - even if the effect eventually wore off and they'd have to break again for whatever reason.

Xelqua would never understand the pecking order of Hels, but he was glad he at least had one nonplayer who was focused on the task at hand.

The group was on the edge of the Hermit's territory, close to the vast areas of "no man's land" separating each Hels server from one another. Very rarely did one of the nonplayers stray outside their boundaries into the dangerous betweenlands.

They were anywhere from 10 thousand to 25 thousand blocks apart, and were overrun with violent helsbeasts and other mobs. The landscape was unforgiving and the heat near the center of these isles could easily become unbearable.

The helshermits were obviously uncomfortable being this close to the border. Glaze had finally stopped talking, and both Wolf and Holliday walked at full attention, ears pricked and sword and trident ready.

Serene seemed quite relaxed about the situation, but her eyes still darted around, and the slightest noise drew her hand to her blade.

Xelqua himself wasn't completely comfortable being this far from the mainland either, but portals never did form in convenient places.

He was used to this particular trek however, using it to retrieve Grian for information and updates. He still didn't like the area, but if he died he would respawn back in his mansion, the NPCs wouldn't be so lucky.

For them, death was death, and that would ruin his plans.

He wasn't sure exactly when the group would actually manage to arrive but the helshermits were all getting anxious.

Glaze's silence went from a relief to unsettling uncomfortably quick - and Serene's sword had finally left the sheath, held to her side defensively. The low growl of a Helsbeast had the group speeding up as silently as possible.

When the portal came into view it was like a breath of fresh air for the group. Serene tightened her grip on her sword, but her shoulders seemed to untense.

Glaze began to whisper to Wolf who only huffed in response while Holliday had his trident drawn, holding it up as if it alone could ward off a Helsbeast on its own. The portal was near now, and hesitation was the last thing they needed.

The ground beneath them shifted slowly from the dark red of the Hels natural landscape into a smoother, silvery stone texture. The path was lined with golden flecks and long white marble strips, forming an intricate pattern towards the center of the portal, where the actual entrance lay.