Chapter 18: Back in Hels

[Author's note: Oct. 12, 2021]

Sorry for the wait! Had a weekend trip with no wifi aaaand a tough time with the start of this chapter. But I got my mojo back and I'm here with an extra long chapter this time >:3 

Also once again thank you for all the nice comments and support!! I'm posting this on ao3 now as well and it's gotten really great comments! ;u; you guys are so sweet 

——— 🌿 ———

The room was still quiet. Xelqua continued to tap at his screen, Bad remained on guard by the door, and Grian had just woken up.

The hermit stretched, chains rattling against the cold floor. It wasn't a good nap, but it was something, all he could handle. 

There was a plate near him - with what looked like a decent meal on it. A steak, sliced carrots, and buttered toast. It was a nice dish that would have made him happy in any other occasion, a treat even. 

But he just felt nauseous looking at it. 

It had been so difficult to force himself to eat this last week. He usually forced the food down to keep his energy and health up. He refused to starve and let himself become weak to whatever plot Xelqua had planned for him. 

He snorted, looking over at Xel at the desk. He was still tired, but his biggest struggle was his boredom. He'd gone afk multiple times, zoning out in an attempt to escape the restlessness that came with being held prisoner - but he couldn't turn off his brain forever. He need to sleep, to eat, to think.

The one thing a hermit couldn't do was tolerate boredom. 

He looked at the player once more, watching as Xelqua tapped away at his little screens. He glanced to Bad - who was still adamantly watching him. 

He raised his hands, and glanced to Xel before looking back in front of him and imitating the man, tip-tapping away on a set of screens that didn't exist. 

He didnt bother looking at Bad, he could already imagine the utterly befuddled look of confusion on the taller man's face. 

Xelqua moved his hand to his chin, looking over his code with a distant glare. Grian copied the expression, scratching his chin in sync with the man. He could see Bad move out of the corner of his eye, and he held back a smirk. 

Xelqua's hand returned to the code, as did Grian's, and there was a snort. 

Both men snapped to Bad at once, the man quickly dropped his hand from his mouth - lips tight as he held back a giggle. Xelqua raised a brow and Grian did the same before they both turned back to their original task. 

Typing away as BadTimes suppressed another giggle. 

Hands slammed into the desk - and both men flinched as they looked to the player. The man was standing, fists down on the wood of the desktop. "Would you knock it off?" His voice was loud - but strictly monotonous. 

Bad darted back to his guardian position, raising his sword and looing straight ahead of himself. Grian just gave the player a lopsided smile, shrugging, "Knock what off?" 

Xelqua sat down,  huffing, "Don't mock me. It's strange." 

The hermit smiled, laughing to himself, "Really? I don't think so. I'm really good at it after all. Right, Bad?"

Bad looked away as both men looked to him - his face tinged with a bit of red. Grian's eyes sparkled in confidence. 

Xelqua raised a brow before huffing and turning back to his work. The annoyance hardly phased Grian and he immediately raised his arms once more, tapping away at invisible screens. Bad couldn't hold back his laugh, the sound was sharp and both men snapped to him once more.