Chapter 32: Where does your loyalty lie?

RenWolf had always done what he believed was best for his server. That was his duty as a soldier, as a guardian to his pack.

He admired strength, confidence, bravery, and loyalty. Xelqua was three of those things. He had proven his strength the first time he declared his leadership, after Grian had left them. He showed confidence when he told the Helsians he would be taking charge.

He showed bravery when he walked up to Wolf with the upmost audacity and demanded he work alongside him.

He had never shown much loyalty, but he hadn't betray them yet - not in the way Grian had.

For now, Xelqua was his safest bet as a leader. He assured Grian would not return to hurt any of the other Helsians and showed great interest in growing the server's territory and power.

Wolf quite admired power too.

Nothing infuriated him like the fact Helsbeasts exists in the forests on the edges of the territory. He wanted nothing more than to expand the terrain further, to gather more resources and land. But not even clearing the trees had stopped the Helsbeasts from prowling dangerously close to their borders.

The walls had done quite a bit to help. Great stone pillars lined with metallic borderings kept many Helsbeasts out, especially the smaller, equally aggressive ones. But he could count on Xelqua to keep them safe on the rare occasions when the beasts broke through the barriers.

A Helsbeast with the boldness to step into such a well-defended area was one desperate. Enraged and deranged, a feral Helsbeast like that could be one of the most deadly.

It was difficult for even Grian or one of the guards, like himself, to take down a monster like that.

That's why, despite how shady Xelqua appeared, Wolf felt the need to put faith in him. To listen to what he says, and do as he's told. That's why he was going to check on the prisoner. The traitor, Grian.

He was almost to the room now, sword held firmly at his side. He much rather fight tooth and claw, or at least with his own weapon, but Xelqua didn't seem to appreciate that style.

His ears perked up as another sound caught his attention. He could see Bad at the end of the hall, creeping out of the prison room. He raised a brow, tilting his head just slightly.

Bad turned back towards him as Wolf approached. The two stopped and stared at one another, Wolf with an untrusting gaze and Bad with wide eyes.

"Leaving a traitor unguarded?" Wolf snapped, "Not wise, BadTimes."

The other Helsian stammered, "I'm just," he cleared his throat, "I assumed you were comin' to take my place right? I've been up with, uhm, the prisoner for so long, I'm tuckered out."

Wolf leaned to one side, not putting away his weapon. "Is that right?"

"Yessir, the prisoner is locked up and stuck! Guess it's your turn now - or something! Just heading back to my quarters!"

Wolf paused, ears tilted back. Xel had told him to go and check on the prisoner. Surely that didn't mean guard. Of course, leaving Grian alone would be irresponsible. Perhaps if Bad was backing out he should take his place, as well as report his latency to Xelqua as soon as possible.

"You are the goodest guard dog out there!" Bad chimed, interrupting his train of thought.

Wolf perked and his tail wagged hesitantly, "You think so?"

"Oh-hoh, yeah! The best! Such a good guard."

Wolf put his hand over his mouth and cleared his throat. "Well, yes, of course I am," he blushed, "You head back to your chambers, I'll take care of this trait-"