Chapter 11: Just like an Old Friend

The other side of the portal had been weird. Not too weird, but weird enough.

Xelqua had discussed the plan with each of them, assuring that they'd do what they were told. As well as not getting distracted, but that was difficult for the Helsians.

Serene was, naturally, the first through the portal. Glaze following soon after with Wolf and Holliday on his heels. They all squinted, glancing up to the Overworld's bright blue skies.

The Overworld itself didn't look too far off from their home in Hels, other than the sky of course, the colors were a bit bright but it was similar enough. However, the Helsian knew this world didn't have a dangerous betweenland separating each area.

It had been... forever since any of them last had memories of the Overworld. Each of them had seen it at some point, in the memories of their player-hosts, but not themselves. Not even Serene had dared venture to the portal on her own.

So this is where Grian's been staying? She thought, squinting at the world's saturation. Perhaps her and the others would try and stick to the shadows...

Behind them, as soon as Holliday had stepped out of the portal, it had closed. A quiet sizzling with a small pop as the entrance to their home vanished indefinitely.

Hopefully Xelqua would keep his promise to bring them back once they'd completed their tasks.

Serene stepped into the grassy field in front of them, letting the sun's warmth filter through her hair and jacket. Her eyes danced over the outer field, and she reached into her pocket slipping out a compass.

Xelqua had handed it to her right before she left, assuring her it would lead them right to the hermit's spawn. Then a careful description of Stress' and Bdubs' bases. Their targets would be insight soon enough.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

It had been almost a week.

Grian never respawned. Never returned.

Xisuma was doing his best to keep it together, but a part of him was overwhelmed with panic. The server hadn't taken it well either.

The hermits did everything quick. Chaos, Drama, Wars - and sometimes assuming the worst. The admin had watched in silent distress as the hermits reacted dramatically, as always.

He had a vague idea of how some hermits had taken the news, as many of them had visited him in his base. At first with questions, and then with concern for both Grian.. and himself.

It was common for the hermits to pull all-nighters, and Xisuma was certainly no stranger. Bdubs had tried to help with his sleeping schedule - and Stress had even given him potions to help him relax and yet... he wasn't sure when the last time he even took a nap was.

At least once since Grian's disappearance, certainly.

His helmet had been discarded a day or so ago. Something he normally didn't go without - but staring at code so close to his face was getting nauseating. He exchanged it for just the lower respirator - a little less nauseating.

He was leaning on his headboard in the main room of his base. He had sealed most of the windows, but left an opening, in the case the hermits needed him. The room was dark, other than the opening.

He should of installed some lights, other than the sunlight filtering through the doorway. But the room used to be so well lit.

Nothing was making sense with any of the lines he was looking over. He had looked into every single thing he could think of. Tango had helped, along with Hypno, and even Mumbo had tried looking into things.