Chapter 40: The Past (Part 5) Betrayal

[Author's note: May 23, 2022]

This one has some violence/a fight and mentions of blood and injury as well as character death. I'll have a short summary at the end for those that want to skip that part  <3

(skip once you get to this symbol  to avoid ->
*:・゚✧*:・゚)

——— 🌿 ———

When he woke up again, he wasn't expecting to be in the same place he had fallen asleep, and he was right.

The smell of smoke was still potent - as well as the stench of burning flesh. Just from the air pressure around him he could tell he was outside of the End. Had he respawned back in his bed?

He opened his eyes and found he was underground, surrounded by the familiar wood and stone of his castle base. He was far from the town, and he'd need to move quickly to catch up with the other Evolutionists.

With effort, he pushed himself up with labored breath. His pain was numbed, so perhaps he had died? The heart on his wrist was gone but his armor had returned and his injuries were mostly healed.

He looked down at his armor, the enchanted diamond glimmering softly in the darkness of his room. He took the armor off, taking a soft breath with the loss of weight.

He checked his inventory, securing that his sword and bow had returned. The gapples and TNT he had used were gone, however, confirming that his fight wasn't just a vivid nightmare.

He pulled out his communicator and checked the time before messaging the group a simple "Is everyone okay?"

The others should still be awake, even though the sun was beginning to set. Maybe they were just as confused as he was.

It wasn't worrying to get no response immediately, so he tucked the communicator into his pocket and headed up the stairs. With a deep sigh, he ran his hand through his hair and stepped out into the light, looking into the orange and pink sky.

The smell of smoke had only faded just slightly, and when he looked past the minecart tracks and over the hill, he could see a cloud of grey rising in the distance. His heart dropped and his eyes widened.

His wings flared and he jumped into one of the minecarts, launching off towards the town. His breathing growing more and more shallow as he panicked. Fires spread so fast on this server and so many of the builds were made of wood! The destruction that even a small fire could cause would take forever to fix!

He got closer to the town, leaning on the edge of the minecart, trying to keep his wings tucked in to move quicker down the rails. He pulled into the town and jumped out of the cart, nearly tripping over the iron surface.

The town smelt awful, and the fire had already consumed most of it. He could still see smoke off in the distance, showing it had not only destroyed the town center, but had reached downtown as well. It was hot, and the fire was getting dangerously close to the rails as well. Going back that way wouldn't be easy.

"Hello?!" He shouted instinctively, why was no one helping put out the fire?

He pulled out his communicator again to find that no one had responded, still. He quickly sent a panicked message mentioning the fire before putting the device away and heading further back from the flames.

He moved towards the police station first, the fire had destroyed at least half of it, though the stony basement seemed rather protected from the flames. The avian leapt around the remaining flames, coughing up a bit of smoke as he poked his head in, "Hello!? Martyn? Timmy?" He yelled into the building to no response.