Chapter 25

After he left, grandma Morgan took the baby so that I could shower. I pulled on a pair of shorts and a cami, went back downstairs to eat, and watched some tv with my favorite human people. An hour had passed since I came back downstairs, maybe an hour and a half when I went back upstairs to check my phone and it was blown up with messages.

Emmett and Alice called me multiple times and left many, many messages. None of the texts revealed anything and I don't have a voicemail set up. I tried calling back multiple times but neither of them answered. I even tried calling Rosalie to no response.

When I heard Ava crying I went back downstairs and told grandma Morgan to go to sleep. It took a second because she's getting sleepy fussy but Ava latched on to her human bottle and we walked upstairs. There's no denying that I'm getting a little worried and the more time that passes, the more it grows. I tried calling a couple more times but received no answer.

After Ava fell asleep and I laid her in her crib, I almost had a heart attack when I walked back into my room. Rosalie was standing by the window with a bigger scowl on her face than usual.

"What the hell?" I asked.

"You're blowing my phone up." she sighed.

"I called you like 3 times."

"One is enough."

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm no idiot, something is going on. Emmett and Alice were blowing up my phone and telling me to call them. Then when I did, no one answered." I argued.

"Maybe they just didn't want to talk to you." she said, looking at her nails.

"If you're here to blow smoke up my ass then please, be my guest and go out the way you came. Oh and don't let the window hit you in the ass, I'd rather it didn't break." I told her, before walking into my closet.

When I walked out with my laundry basket she was surprisingly still standing there but I don't have the energy or mental awareness right now to argue with her. For some reason laundry helps me calm down so I separated all of the clothes and left them in piles in the laundry room. I wash all of Ava's clothes separately so I started with her tiny little outfits.

"Why are you still here?" I asked when I walked back into my room.

"You have an attitude problem."

"You just have problems. Are you gonna answer this question since you're ignoring the others?"

Her silence was response enough so I put my phone to charge on the night table and got ready for bed. Not that I'm calm enough to actually sleep, so I just laid in bed. My mind is whirling. Whatever is happening must be really bad if he sent Rosalie to babysit me and no one is answering their phone or my questions.

How I managed to fall asleep and when is unknown to me. All I know is I woke up and Rosalie was gone, or so I thought. Suddenly I could hear her in the nursery with Ava Rae, I'm not the least bit worried about that. What I am worried about is the lack of communication from Emmett and Alice. However, I have things to do and work to get to.

Two days. It took two days, two days worth of stress, frayed nerves, and the most annoying two days of Rosalie's presence to hear back from Emmett.

"Emmett, where are you?" I asked as soon as I picked up the phone.

"Baby ..." he sighed.

"Are you okay?"

"I am now, hearing your voice."

"Is everyone safe? Is everything okay?"

"Everyone is safe, well Bella's okay. She's in the hospital and ..."

"Do I even want to know? Do I need to?"

"I think you should but I'll tell you when I get home." he said.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm good, I just needed to hear you. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to pick up the phone and I know that Rosalie is a pain. Things got ... hectic and very fast, we had to move and I needed to make sure that you and Ava and Grandma Morgan were safe. I needed to protect you and I couldn't do it myself."

"I know, we are safe and we're waiting for you."

"I'll be home soon."

"Where are you?" I asked.

"Phoenix with Carlisle, Alice, Jasper, Edward, and Bella."

"That's an ... unusual bunch." I said, not quite understanding.

"It is and I'm ready to go home." he sighed again.

"When are you coming back to us?"

"I'll be leaving Phoenix in about an hour."

"How long is your flight?" I asked him.

"I'm not flying." he chuckled.

"Ok, how are you ... oh, you're running." I said, blushing when he laughed.

"Yeah, when is your shift over?"

"I've still got about three hours left."

"I should be back by then, how about I pick Ava up, and then we pick you up. I would like to spend the night with my girls." he sighed again, this one sounds stressed and just really tired, not that he sleeps.

"I would like that too. We missed ..."

"Nurse Rossi ..."

"I missed you too, so much baby."

"Come back to me."

"I'm on my way."

"Nurse Rossi ..."

"Go, I'll see you later." he said.

"Bye babe." I said.

"Bye baby."

"He's coming back." I sighed in relief.

It's not hard to admit that I was worried. My anger and growing agitation with Rosalie was a nice distraction from the worry. When a couple of hours turned into a day and then one day turned into two, fear started to saturate my heart. I have a feeling that fear is definitely going to be in my vocabulary with whatever Emmett is going to tell me.