Chapter 52

"I start making phone calls and I go back to the house, clean everything up and get it live-in ready again."

"I'm going back to the reservation tomorrow." I said.

"What?" Emmett asked.

"Why?" Alice asked.

"Because I want to and because Harry passed away tonight. He had a heart attack and ..." I started to sniffle.

"Come here." Emmett said, wrapping his free arm around me.

"Val, you can't go back there." Alice argued.

"Excuse me? You can't stop me."

"I can't see you when you're there." She argued and I heard the panic in her tone so I didn't get too angry.

"I'm safe there, Alice. I have been all of this time and that's not going to change now." I countered.

"Valentina, what happened on the reservation?" Emmett asked softly.

"I tried to ... he was gone and ... I tried but I couldn't ..."

"Babe, you can't save everyone. I'm so sorry." he said, putting Ava down to hug me tightly.

"He's gone and Sue is alone, Leah and Seth lost their dad. Leah's going through enough without all of this. Seth is just a child and ... he's such an adorable kid. I'm going back tomorrow to be with Sue, I'm going to support her." I told them.

"You're safe there?" he asked me.

"Emmett!" Alice argued.

"I've been safe there for the past couple of months, nothing is going to change that now." I told them.

"You should go rest." Emmett said.

"I have to put Ava down and ..."

"I've got Ava, baby go lay down, we'll be upstairs in a few minutes." he insisted.

"I'm not tired." I told him.

"Val, are you okay?" Alice asked softly.

"No ... not really. This is bringing back a lot of bad memories and I wasn't prepared for that at all. My parents, they ... my brothers ... I haven't seen them in months and I just don't know ... I don't know when I'll see them again. I don't even know if I'll see them again. It's putting me in a bad space mentally." I admitted.

"Alright, I'm gonna head out so that you guys can wind down. I'll see you tomorrow?" she asked.

"Maybe in the afternoon, depending on what time I come back from Sue's."

"Okay ... okay. Bye."

She gave me a hug and for a second, I just held on tightly to her. I don't want to lose anyone else, I don't know that my mental health could take another major loss. Alice held onto me and rubbed her hands over my back reassuringly.

"I will see you. I'll be back tomorrow after you finish being a good friend so that I can be a good friend to you." she said.

"Okay, I'll see you." I said, letting out a deep breath.

"See you soon." she said to Emmett.

"I'll see you tomorrow." he said, hugging her.

I walked into the kitchen and just stood there, for a second, I forgot why I came in here, to begin with. As I looked around, I heard Emmett walk in but I didn't turn around.

"Val, baby, talk to me." he said, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen." I told him.

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Tea, maybe?" he asked.

"Tea! That's it." I muttered, walking away from him.

"Sit down, I'll handle it." he said.

"Em ..."

"It's fine, I know how you like it." he insisted.

"Where's Ava?" I asked as I sat down.

"Almost asleep in the playpen. Babe, you're gonna be okay." he said.

"I don't know ... Em, I don't wanna lose anyone else." I sighed.

"You're safe and we're gonna keep Bella safe. You won't lose anyone else."

"Do you think everyone is gonna come back?" I asked him.

"I don't know, I guess it depends on what Alice tells them. I'm assuming they will because of Victoria but I don't really know." he sighed as he walked around my kitchen. "How about you go take Ava upstairs and I'll bring this to you."

"That ... sounds like a really good idea."

I walked over to him and got on my toes to kiss him.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you too." he said.

I grabbed my daughter and took her up to her crib. She squirmed around a bit when I laid her down and after handing her the little octopus that Emmett got for her, she calmed down and quickly enough fell asleep. This Victoria thing really got me thinking. If she's following Bella around then at some point she's gonna end up outside of my house. How do I keep my family safe?

"Baby ..." Emmett said from the door.

"Hmm ... thank you." I said softly, grabbing the mug and following him back to my room.

"What's on your mind?" he asked.

"Victoria."

"Now that we know about her, she won't be getting in here. I haven't caught her scent around anywhere near here so she hasn't been interested in you." he said.

"What about grandma Morgan, Ava, Charlie? They're all in danger because of one vindictive vampire."

"They are but we will keep them safe. If I have to make a deal with the shifters, I'll do that in order to keep you safe."

I sipped on my tea and sat back against my headboard. So much is happening and it's happening so freaking fast, I don't know how I'm processing all of this.

"Babe ... are you sure you want to go back tomorrow?"

"Emmett ..."

"Not because of my issues with the shifters, I'm worried about you. They've proved protective of you so I have no issues with them, as long as they remain respectful." he said.

"I lost my parents around the same age that Leah is right now. I don't want them to be alone the same way that I was."

"Okay, okay, if you need me, call and I'll be at the treaty line waiting for you."

"I will."

The next week passed in the blink of an eye and a blur to my mind. Harry's funeral was quick since his death was due to natural causes. I was by Sue and Leah's side the whole time and I was absolutely stunned when Leah shifted into a wolf in the living room of her family's house, I wasn't the only one. Sue said females don't shift so everyone was surprised. As if this girl needs anything else to add to her plate.

Bella and I haven't really spoken all that much and it's because of her need to be around the wolves. It's also because of her seeming lack of intelligence. The girl is so freaking smart yet she gets drawn into the dumbest situations ever. I've seen her with Jacob on the reservation and I don't know what's going on there.

"Val, you have a visitor." Grandma Morgan called out.

"Is that your auntie Alice? Did she come to see you?" I muttered to Ava who just smiled all big.

I walked downstairs and was surprised to see Bella standing in my living room.