Chapter 6

I took off running again, skidding to a stop at the daycare. My favorite person ever was babbling up a mess in her little portable crib and making happy baby noises.

"Hey Val." the daycare manager said.

"Hey Nina, how was she today?"

"An angel as always. See you tomorrow?"

"I really like you Nina, but I hope not. I've been here nine days straight and I want to sleep in." I said while I grabbed Ava's things.

"What about Ava?" Nina laughed while she put Ava Rae's coat on.

"Grandma Morgan is taking her tonight. Hi bambina, mia piccola." I muttered as I grabbed my daughter.

"You have a good one."

"You too, Nina. Bye."

I took off and went as fast as I legally could to get home and I was surprised to find grandma's car in the driveway. The lights were on as I pulled into the garage, the tv was on, I could hear it from the garage and whatever was cooking smelled really good.

"Grandma?" I shouted as I walked into the kitchen from the garage.

"Hey sweetie . . . hey beautiful girl." she replied, walking over to me and taking Ava out of her car seat.

"What are you doing? What's all of this?"

"I figured you were getting out late so I decided to come and start cooking."

"I'm sorry, there was a . . ."

"It's more than okay, I was married to a doctor. I understand that life sweetie." she smiled.

"What did you make?" I asked after putting the bags down and our coats in the closet.

"Baked salmon with my balsamic honey carrots and coconut rice."

"It smells great!"

"It tastes better, about 10 minutes left."

I took Ava and changed her diaper while grandma Morgan finished in the kitchen. We had a great dinner and grandma had a few glasses of wine so she decided to stay. After everyone had showered, grandma Morgan was locked in her room with Ava who was finally asleep, I went back down to the kitchen.

A large mug of chamomile tea was calling my name so I brewed it and headed back up to my room, sitting on the little bench by the big bay window that looks out back to the trees. As I stared out it seemed to me like there was someone in my backyard. I shook my head and looked back up to see nothing there.

"Alright Val, you're slowly going crazy." I muttered to myself.

After I finished my tea and lit the fire in my room, I laid down and listened to the sounds around me. Making a fire has always come easily and it's a pleasure to listen to so I let the sound of the crackling fire and the wind brushing against my window comfort me. I've always had a very acute hearing and these natural sounds help me calm down, they help me sleep.

Before I fell asleep I found myself thinking about one, Emmett Cullen. Easily the most good looking man I've ever met with a dreamy dimpled smile and those beautiful golden hazel eyes! He somehow has the same eye color as his adopted father but for some reason, his are especially golden and especially attractive to me.

"You really are a sight to see, Emmett Cullen, giving all the sparks and tingles with just one smile. I do hope to see you again." I said right before falling asleep.

EMMETT'S POV

"Alice, I'm not going to the hospital." I argued with my sister for the tenth time.

"Emmett you have to go and meet her." she argued back.

"You realize that you're trying to set me up with a human, right?"

"I know but I still see her so at some point you'll meet her." she giggled, making my siblings laugh, all but one.

"This is not the least bit funny, Edward come on, back me up." I pleaded with my brother.

"Alice, it is very dangerous." he stated.

"I can't believe you'd support this! You know how bad this can go." Rosalie growled.

"Edward, you've seen it just as clearly as I have. She will . . ."

"Enough! Alice, I don't want to continue talking about her . . . about this."

"But . . ."

"Alice, he's said his piece so knock it off." Rose insisted, I knew she would have my back.

She's the most against human interaction out of all of us. I mean she has her reasons but she really doesn't want to interact with humans unless absolutely necessary. Ever since Alice told me about this human girl I've been avoiding the topic but I can't deny my curiosity for much longer.

When Alice first saw this mystery girl that she swears is my mate, she drew her. My father walked into the room and informed us that the woman in the drawing is one of the head nurses in his ER. After that, I stood away from Carlisle whenever he got home from work, just not to smell her. I was able to do so until yesterday and the scent is unlike any other I've ever smelled before; pomegranate, black orchid and violet, lotus blossom, and mahogany, notes that make her all kinds of sinful deliciousness.

I got all of that and it was diluted at the moment, I can't imagine what would happen if I actually met . . . her. My intent to avoid the topic meant that I don't even know her name or even what she looks like since I refused to look at the drawing. It's safer for everyone this way.

"Her name is Valentina Rossi and she's quite beautiful." Edward said.

"Stay out of my head!" I growled.

"Your thoughts are very loud."

"He said leave it alone, what part of that isn't clear?" Rose demanded, walking into my room.

"You're thinking of stopping by the hospital?" Edward asked.

"What?" Rosalie shrieked.

"I don't know." I replied.

"Why are you fighting it? I've already seen it, Emmett and it hasn't changed since I first saw her. You won't hurt her." Alice insisted.

"Why am I fighting? Because she's fucking human Alice! How does that not raise any red flags for you?" I angrily demanded, making Jasper run into the room again to diffuse the situation.

"Em I only know what I see and I see you with her. I know that she's human but I know you can handle it, I know you can." she softly said.

"This sounds like a bad idea, Allie." Jasper told his wife.

"Why are you insisting on putting our family in danger? What did we do to you?" Rosalie asked her.

"Babe calm down, it's his choice." Jared said, shooting us an apologetic look as he pulled Rose out of the room.

"She's right, this could be very dangerous. You're not looking at this from all angles Alice."

"Ugh! You haven't really decided to stay away from her because I can still see her in your future so you will talk to her at some point. There's . . . another guy interested in her and he's really trying to win her over so don't wait too long." Alice said.