Chapter 32

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"In what way?" Esme asked.

"Two of your sons are dating humans, how does this work?"

"That is a good question. We haven't exactly seen this before so all of us are taking it day by day along with you.' Esme replied.

"How much danger is involved here? For everyone?"

"Hey, why are we talking about this? Things are going good." Emmett interrupted.

"We have to talk about this and you won't. These are things that we have to talk about, especially since there are two of us now, well three with Ava. I know that you won't hurt us, that none of you would hurt us. I need to know the dangers though."

"If the Volturi were to find out ..."

Rose went along to tell me quite the story and I can admit a little bit of fear. There is a lot to be lost for everyone.

"I won't say anything." I told them.

"We know, you don't have to worry about that. It's just ... it's good that you know this." Esme said softly.

"We won't hurt you, none of us will but never forget that there are others out there, others that don't ..."

"It makes no sense to talk about this, the Volturi aren't going to come here any time soon." Emmett said, interrupting his sister.

"This is clearly uncomfortable conversation so let's change the topic." I smiled, kissing Emmett's cheek.

"Yeah, that works. Thanks."

Emmett and I had a really good summer. We went on a couple of weekends trips with Ava to really pretty parts of Washington. He made plans that included Esme and Grandma Morgan who absolutely adore each other, they are the cutest ever. He made it a point to involve my daughter in everything that he planned and I would even think that he planned things just to take her out. Whenever we were just walking around and some random woman would stop us to tell him that his daughter was gorgeous, he would light up. Not once did he correct anyone though, never even mentioned it.

Ava is growing very dependent on him. She's used to seeing him everyday. If we don't spend the night at my place, we spend it at his. I can admit that we spend most of our nights at my house though. Emmett had this uncanny knack for making grandma Morgan blush, and he enjoys it. She enjoys having him around too, a big, strapping, strong man to keep us safe. If only she really knew just how safe we are.

Alice, Rose, and Esme have taken to coming over too. Esme and grandma Morgan really took to each other, it's nice to see our families bonding but not all is well within the two families. Emmett won't admit it but I am aware that Edward doesn't like me all that much. I don't know why though.

Whenever I go to Carlisle's house Edward normally isn't there. If he is, he always disappears with his girlfriend to his room. He's uncharacteristically guarded and even a little cold in the few interactions that we have. So much so that I've stopped going to the house. I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable and I can tell that Jasper is quite uncomfortable whenever Edward and I are in the same room.

"Babe, come on, you've gotta come over." Emmett insisted as I showered after my shift.

"I wasn't invited."

"But I was and I'm inviting you. It's Bella's birthday and Alice wants to have a small get together."

"Does Alice know what a small get together is?" I asked.

"Esme kept it quaint." He chuckled.

"Emmett ..."

"Come on baby."

"It's the girl's birthday and her boyfriend doesn't like me. Why would I mess up her night?" I asked.

"You won't be messing anything up." He argued.

"Baby, I don't think my presence is a good thing. Why doesn't he like me?"

"He's being childish." Emmett growled lowly.

"About what?"

"Your relationship with my family, mostly with Rosalie." He sighed.

"Why would that ... oh, because of the baby?"

"In part, yeah, he's mad that Rosalie is more accepting of you than she is of Bella."

"He does realize that it's just the baby doing all of the hard work?"

"It's not dawning on him in all of his intelligence."

"Emmett, you go. I'll be fine staying here."

"I want you to come with me, just ignore him. That's what I've been doing. The girls want to see Ava." he insisted.

"Fine, let's go. What could possibly go wrong?" I asked.

"Hey, don't think like that. This will be great!" he smiled, kissing me softly.

I dressed Ava quickly in one of the new outfits that auntie Alice purchased for her, I have to admit that my daughter is much more stylish than I am. Emmett was quick to leave before I changed my mind. Rose, Alice, and Esme's smiles told me that I made the right choice. I was also proved right when I noted the decor. Almost every flat surface was covered with pink candles and crystal bowls filled with roses. On top of Edward's piano was a large pink birthday cake, a stack of glass plates and a small pile of silver-wrapped presents.

"Remind me to never let you plan a party for me." I told Alice, making her family laugh.

"This is the toned down version." Jared smiled.

"It's not bad." Alice said, defending her decorating skills.

"It's not, but this doesn't seem very Bella to me. Well, from what I've seen of her anyway, she doesn't seem like the pink girly type."

"You don't think she's gonna like it." Alice sighed.

"It's probably not her scene but, I believe she'll love all of the effort you put into making this something special for her. I know I would." I told her, just to see her smile.

Jasper smiled at me from behind his girlfriend and I just winked at him.

"It's oddly easy for me to be around you." he said.

"You think?" I asked, feeling accomplished for some reason.

"I've been wondering about that." Rose said.

"I don't know what it is, something about you and the baby ... it's like I can't really smell your blood." he sighed in relief.

"Wanna test that theory?" I asked, smiling at him.

"Val ..." Emmett quickly said.

"What exactly were you thinking?" Jasper asked.

"Well, hug me."

"Valentina ..." Emmett warned.

"Let's call it scientific curiosity."

"I don't know about this." Emmett said.

"Alice, do you see anything dangerous in the next minute or so?"

"No, I don't." she replied.

"Wanna hold the baby?"

"Sure!" she said, grabbing a blanket off of the sofa that's there for this specific reason.

"Jasper ... wanna test out that theory?" I smiled.

Carlisle is just watching this transpire but I can see that gleam in his eyes. He's just as interested in this theory as I am. I can't help but wonder what it is.

"Sure." Jasper said, taking his time to walk over to us.