Chapter 56

VAL'S POV

"Bella, are you okay?" I asked the teenager as I got ready for a date night.

"I'm ... fine." she said with a bit of a sigh, then a smile.

I looked at her in disbelief for clarification. Whatever she saw on my face made her laugh and the sound made Ava Rae giggle from her spot in the middle of the pillow fort that Bella made around her. The two of them aren't the best of friends but Bella is actually, surprisingly very good with Ava. She's said she doesn't want a baby but ... I do think she'd be a very good mom.

"Really, I'm fine. I don't know what you and Emmett did or what you said but Edward hasn't come around again. At least, not that I can see because I'm sure that he's still lurking around outside." she said.

"I know that I've been busy all week and ..."

"Valentina, you work in a hospital. You're saving lives and there have been a slightly worrying amount of car accidents on wet roads by stupid teenagers who think this is Fast and Furious. I don't expect you to be available 24/7 ..."

"But ..."

" ... but I know that you are if I need you." she smiled softly.

"Good. How are the boys on the res?" I asked.

"Sam asks about you. They're all doing good though, getting used to me. I think Jake has a girlfriend." she smiled bigger.

"Really?"

"Yeah, a girl he goes to school with. He showed me her picture, she's cute and he really smiles when he talks about her. I hope it goes well for them."

"I really love this for you." I said, turning away from the mirror to look at her.

"Love what?"

"This place that you're in. You're standing up for yourself, making things very clear for everyone in your life and you're doing amazing." I smiled. "Listen, I'm the first to admit that I didn't handle the shifter thing in the best manner but you've taken it all in stride given the circumstances. I'm really proud of you, Bella."

"Thank you and I really mean that. Without you and your help, and Emmett's help, I'd still be a mess. I really do appreciate everything that you've done for me." she replied.

"You're so very welcome."

"You look amazing." she told me.

Tonight's look was a beige, silk jumper of sorts, a jumpsuit! I paired it with simple accessories, silver bangle bracelets, some dangly earrings, a small black purse, and black high heels. My hair is curled and simple makeup was applied before I spritzed some of my favorite perfume on.

"Thank you, I like to show out a little when he takes me out

"Thank you, I like to show out a little when he takes me out." I smiled.

"Where is he taking you?"

"I have no idea, he never tells me."

"You're so cute, it's literally disgusting." she complained with a smile.

"He's just amazing."

"Val! Your guy is here!" Grandma shouted.

"Are you staying here tonight?" I asked Bella.

"No, it's okay, I'm gonna go home and call my mom. Probably call Jess and Ang too, we've got plans for senior prank night."

"Well that sounds great, don't call me if you need an alibi because I'm not going to lose my medical license." I said, making her laugh.

"Can I call you for a place to live after begging for bail? Charlie would probably leave me there and then kill me when I get home." she asked as we walked down the stairs.

"Yeah, I'll cover bail for you three only. That room is yours." I said.

"Who's gonna need bail money?" Grandma asked.

"Bella's got senior prank night." I smiled, getting on my tippy toes to kiss Emmett.

"Well look at you being dangerous, I'll give you an alibi." Emmett said.

"I knew there was a reason that you're my favorite. Bye, have a great night!" she replied as she walked out the front door.

"She's doing really well." Grandma smiled softly.

"She's being a normal teenager, it's nice to see her enjoying life." I smiled.

"This is how things should have been, he really did a number on her and I don't think he'll ever really understand just how bad it was." Emmett sighed.

"You listen to me, young man, the actions of your brother are not your fault. You cannot fix his mistakes so don't take on the guilt and shame that he should be feeling. You've helped that girl more than any of you could possibly understand. Bella was in a deep depression, catatonic depression, and it is immensely hard to come out of that. The two of you supported her, you let her vent and cry, which was not your job to do. Don't worry about what happens now that they're coming back. She's a smart girl and she's seen the worst, now she gets to be that strong girl and stand up for herself. I see and hear things too." grandma said since we were just staring at her.

Emmett walked over to her and plucked her off of the sofa to spin her around and kiss her cheeks, both of them. She blushed a deep red before pushing him gently when he put her on her feet again.

"You are the sweetest thing." she stammered. "Go, leave that baby in her playpen and go have some adult time."

"Good night, princess." Emmett muttered, bending down to kiss Ava's head.

"Night baby girl."

As I walked to the closet to grab my coat, Emmett smacked my ass.

"Emmett Cullen!"

"That cake looks really good." he smirked, leaving me shocked and silent.

His deep belly laugh made me smile and I felt all the butterflies in my stomach when he helped me put my coat on. Emmett Cullen makes me laugh, he can be such a gentleman, unlike any man I've ever known in these modern times to him. Then he turns into a class-act horny teenage boy ten seconds later. The contradicting sides of Emmett Cullen and I love them all.

We drove to Seattle in a fraction of the time it would take a normal person to drive this distance. Honestly, I don't know how he doesn't get stopped every single time because he drives like a madman. There's no lying that I enjoy it but I'd never do it myself. It's a thrill to be in the passenger's seat. He took us to a really beautiful restaurant and I had a delicious meal, afterward, he took me to this really cute ice cream shop. Said we should bring Ava on our next family outing. How could I not love him?

As I drove home from work one week after my Seattle date, I was surprised to see Sam standing outside of my house. Grandma Morgan is on the reservation with Sue and Ava, the two women have gotten pretty close over the past few weeks. It's really nice to see them hanging out together. I mean, grandma just makes friends with everyone, she's like a five-year-old.

"Sam, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm waiting for one of the Cullens, whichever Jake could get." he replied with a sad look on his face.

"What's going on? Why are you here?"

"Jake was passing by and he smelled something, there was a vampire here." he stated.

"A ... what? Is he sure?"

"Very sure and it's not a scent that we recognize." he sadly added.

"Sam, what's going on?"

"That's what I would like to know." Emmett suddenly said, wrapping his arms around me.

Jasper and Edward were with him and Jacob suddenly ran up to us. Sam's eyes narrowed a little and I'm guessing that Bella didn't tell him who I was dating. Brownie points to her.