Chapter 62

I went downstairs and just walked into Grandma's room, face-planting on her bed.

"He's home and you know he's safe." she said, caressing my hair.

"What the hell?" I mumbled making her laugh.

"It's a shock, a big surprise, but you've got one home. We just have to hold out hope for the other."

"I just ... he's here." I muttered.

"I know and it's gonna be a little different around here. Let's just enjoy having him here okay? We'll take it day by day." she said.

"Yeah, day by day. I just ... I can't believe it."

"I know ... go now, your man is waiting and probably has questions." she said.

"Right ... Emmett ..."

Walking upstairs again, I walked by the guest room and heard my brother talking but didn't linger. He deserves his privacy and if it's something I need to worry about Emmett will tell me. He was sitting back on my bed watching a movie when I walked in. Shirtless Emmett in just a pair of pajama pants is ... a sight to behold.

"You trying to distract me?" I asked as I sat next to him.

"Me? I would never do something like that." he chuckled, pulling me so that I sat straddling his thighs.

"Em ..."

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"I don't know what I am. Shocked, happy, surprised, worried, all of the above."

"That's fine, understandable."

"I don't know if I should be worried about him. I don't know what he's been through or why he's really home. I'm already worried." I admitted.

"He was on the phone with a friend, told him that he found you and he was good." he told me.

"Is that all?" I asked.

"Nothing that you need to worry about."

"Will you tell me if I need to be worried?"

"I will, I promise. If I think or hear something bad, I'll bring Edward and Jasper around, they can tell us for sure." he suggested.

"I don't want to intrude on his privacy ... I just want to make sure he's okay. If you think it's necessary, talk to me first."

"I will, I promise."

"He's here." I sniffled.

"Yes, he is, a couple of doors down."

"Now I just need to hear from Andy. But for now, I have one of them here and that's more than I had this morning."

"Take the little victories, babe. I'll make myself scarce tomorrow so that you can have some quality time with him." he said, moving his thumb over my cheek.

"You don't have to."

"It's okay, really, enjoy some time with him. Take him to the res, to the beach, that's supposed to be relaxing ... and he did ask about Leah."

"You know, that's not a bad idea. I'll put it out there and ask him what he wants to do."

"Good, take a shower again, a hot shower, and then to bed." he insisted.

"Em ..."

"Go, shower, I'll check on Ava."

As he walked out of my room, I walked into the bathroom. A hot shower sounds about right at the moment. I thought about my brother's words while I showered, he's been out longer than he's saying if his wounds were that bad and he's simply limping now. Why would he lie about that? Do I confront him about it? No, he must have his reasons for speaking the way he did and how he did. I don't want to push him away or make him uncomfortable.

Having him here is a blessing and nothing short of a miracle. I'll play along however he needs me to and hope that I don't have to call on Jasper or Edward. I don't want to invade his privacy but if I think he's a danger to himself I will, I can't lose him too. All that's missing is to hear from Andy, that's all I need.

When I got out of the shower, I heard Emmett's voice over the baby monitor as he told a story to my half-asleep baby. I watched the video feed and just smiled at the two of them.

"He's really good with her." my brother said, scaring the shit out of me.

"Damn it! You know I hate that." I complained.

"I know." he smiled, wrapping one arm around my shoulder.

"Jer ... you're gonna be okay." I said, hugging him.

"I'm broken, Tina." he whispered.

"We're all broken, Jer. What matters is putting yourself back together and how you do that." I replied.

"He helping you put yourself together?" he asked.

"He is ... I love him, and he loves us. Emmett, he's a big teddy bear and he's so protective of us, of her. They just love each other."

"You can see that. I heard him telling her a story and now she's already asleep." he said.

"He's really good with her ... especially for someone who hasn't been around babies in a while. They just took to each other." I sighed.

"How was it? When Chris died?" he asked.

"It was hard ... on both of us. He got a few months with her, at least they got to know each other just a little. He loved her, Jer, he loved her so much and he wanted us to be a family but I just ... I didn't feel that way about him. He had this house made for us, for all of us to move in and he didn't tell me. Grandma Morgan told me when we got off of the plane. Even she loves Emmett ... he adores her. I'm a lucky woman." I said happily.

"No, he's the lucky one to have you, Ava Rae, and grandma Morgan in his life, don't you forget that." my brother argued.

"I love you." I sighed, kissing his cheek.

"I love you more, bug." he sighed. "I'm gonna be okay, I promise."

"I know and you can stay here for as long as you need to. My house is your house." I told him.

"Lo so." he muttered.

"Go get some rest, you look like you need it."

"What are you saying?" He asked, poking my side.

"That you look like crap, the kitchen is open if you need a snack, go through everything if you want to. Eat something, you look like you need some food, and then go to sleep." I said.

"I'm older than you, bug." he playfully argued.

"And I'm the parent now, go."

"I'm so proud of you. Mom and dad would've been so proud of you too." he said, kissing my forehead.

"Thank you."

"I'm gonna go hit up your kitchen, I know you've got some chocolate chip cookies somewhere." he said, making me laugh.

"I've got some Chips Ahoy in the pantry but no fresh, I'll buy the stuff to make them tomorrow." I told him.

"Oh, you really do love me." he chuckled.

"Maybe."

"Good night, bug." he said.

"Good night, bear." I said and it made him smile his smile.