Chapter 60

She held onto my pinkies and for a second, just a few seconds, she remained on her feet before plopping on her but and crawling over to him. We've been trying to get her to take a few steps lately and she's been balancing on her feet but that's about it. At 11 months, that's good enough for me, but Emmett's getting impatient. He wants her first steps to be to him and he's trying everything.

"One more time ... that's it sweetie. Come to daddy." he muttered, grabbing a toy of hers from her room and flashing back.

The sudden burst of air made her giggle and when I let go, she teetered for two steps and then plopped down again but if Emmett's smile was any barometer, she just walked to the moon.

"Did you see that? She walked! She took steps toward me!"

"Daddy?" I asked, eyes full of tears as he picked her up.

"I know that she had a dad and the way she lost him wasn't fair, but she's mine Val. She's my baby, I've been watching her grow and I love her. If it's okay with you ..."

"Dadadada." Ava squealed, pressing her hands to his cheeks. "Dadadada."

"Seems she's made up her mind." I sniffled, getting on my toes to kiss him.

"Mine. Both of you are mine." he whispered, pressing his lips to mine again softly then kissing Ava's head.

"Yours, forever yours." I said softly.

"The three of you are so damn cute." Grandma Morgan said from the hallway.

"Grandma she took steps! She walked to me." Emmett smiled as he walked out with Ava and the three of them went downstairs.

It's crazy, messy, and supernatural, but I love my life right now. I wouldn't change the people in it for ... well, I might change some if I could, but most of the people here, I wouldn't change for the world. There's so much going on right now ... a lot of it I don't think I'll ever truly understand but I don't wanna lose anyone, I don't want anyone to get hurt. I just ... something in my gut tells me that we're missing something and I don't know what that is.

Emmett had Ava teetering two and three steps all evening and she was enjoying all of his enthusiastic reactions. Suddenly the bell reverberated throughout the living room and Emmett sent me a look. That's either Esme or Rosalie, so I walked to the front door and smiled softly at Esme when I opened it. She had the biggest and cutest baby bag with her and I just sighed, resigned to the unhealthy amounts of gifts my daughter was set to receive. I looked around to see if anyone else was there and I thought I saw someone down the street but when I looked again no one was there. My subconscious is playing jokes with my anxiety.

"Esme! It's been such a long time." Grandma Morgan said, walking over to us to hug her.

"It has been, you look amazing." Esme told her.

"This son of yours always messing with me, he keeps me young."

"The two of you act like children." I complained.

"You see, he keeps me young." Grandma said.

"Mom! Look at this!" Emmett said, holding up a toy.

I just laughed at him again but Ava did perform for him and Esme. She giggled and clapped her hands when Esme squealed. Emmett just looks like a kid who owned the best gift ever on Christmas morning.

Daddy. He called himself daddy and it gave me butterflies.

"Dadadada!" Ava screeched, reminding everyone that she's made her choice.

"That is just adorable." Esme said, looking up at her son.

"She's my baby." Emmett said, practically beaming with happiness.

"That she is ... oh we've missed you." Esme muttered, taking Ava from Emmett. "She's gotten so big."

"I know, don't remind me. She's about to be one in just a few weeks." I sighed.

"A birthday!" Esme said.

"Not necessary." I argued.

"She needs a birthday party and she's got all of her little buddies from the hospital daycare. I know you've got some phone numbers." Grandma Morgan said.

"I don't think ..."

"They're just gonna hound you and wait until Alice jumps on this train." Emmett sighed.

"We can plan something small. Esme, grandma, something small." I told them.

"Gathering Alice in is going to be the problem but we can do small." Esme smiled.

"I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?" I sighed.

"No." grandma and Esme said.

"Yes." Emmett said.

"Emmett!" Esme scolded.

"Small." I insisted.

"I will make sure that it's small." she smiled.

"Oh boy." I sighed.

"It's going to be great!" Grandma Morgan said.

"That's the spirit."

We spent the rest of the night talking about birthday ideas and did not decide on a theme or anything like that. Esme left after making plans with grandma Morgan to meet up for lunch, making me smile. Emmett and I took Ava Rae upstairs and I gave her a bath while Emmett got her pajamas and things ready. I completed her nighttime lotion routine and dressed her before nursing and then Emmett put her to sleep.

I really do enjoy watching him with her, it's like he was meant to be her father. He's so amazing with her and he really enjoys being with her. She adores him and I know the feeling is mutual, they adore each other. This is my little family and I will do anything I can to protect them. It's not like I can stop a vampire or hurt one either but I will do everything that I can to keep my family safe.

While I listened to Emmett tell Ava a story, I looked out the window and saw Leah walking over to my house. I went downstairs and started heating up some food for her. She walked in through the sliding door in the kitchen and just sat at the island.

"Leah, I'm so sorry." I told her.

"Sorry for what?" she asked as I placed the plate in front of her.

"You shouldn't have to babysit me and Ava." I told her.

"I know that you leech is here but I'd rather be here than at Bella's." she said.

"Leah ..."

"You're friends with her but I'm not. You do realize that she's the reason all of this is happening, right?" Leah asked.

"Come on, Leah ... that's not fair." I sighed.

"The vampire is here after her. She's putting everyone in danger and yet, here you are apologizing when none of this is your fault. We want to protect you and Ava and ..."

She was interrupted by the doorbell ringing. I'm not expecting anyone and to my knowledge, none of Emmett's siblings were coming over. Leah quickly got up and suddenly Emmett was at the base of the stairs. They looked at each other and nodded and Leah stepped closer to the door. Emmett walked over to the front door and opened it, I just saw the shadow of a man but I heard when he said my name.

"Who are you?" Emmett asked.

"Is Val here?" the man repeated and just by the voice I felt my heart rate accelerate.

"Who's looking for her?" Emmett repeated.

"Emmett ..." I said, pulling away from Leah and walking closer to the door.

"Babe?" he asked, turning my way and letting me see the person standing in front of the door.

"Oh my God." I muttered as the tears started pouring.

"Tina ..." my brother muttered.

"Oh my God ... Jeremy." I cried, throwing myself in his arms.

"Hey, baby sister." He sniffled, his arms tight around me.

"Oh ... the brother." Emmett said, opening the door wider.