Chapter 15

"I was born around 1640 in London. My father was a very strict Anglican pastor who led the hunt for supernatural beings; witches, vampires, werewolves, that kind of thing. He and other pastors believed they were ridding the world of evil but they were mainly killing innocent people. When my father got too old to lead the raids, I took over. Killing isn't something I've ever been comfortable with but I was smart so my raids were smarter not harder. Eventually, I found a coven of real vampires that were living in the sewers. I led the hunt and it was all death and chaos. I was bitten and left for dead by the few survivors. My father would have killed me so I hid in a potato cellar until the transformation was over."

"How did you know it was over?" I asked.

"The transformation is very painful, you literally feel and almost hear your heart accelerating and then take it's last few beats. It feels like your body is on fire until it's over and you don't feel anything." he replied.

My knees were drawn up on the chair, my arms around them as I listened intently.

"At first, I was horrified at what I had become. I tried to kill myself in many different ways but none of it worked and I was desperate for nutrients. As I hid in a cave there was a herd of deers passing and I attacked them, finding I could sustain myself and survive off of animal blood instead of humans. Over the years, I dedicated myself to being better and learning. If I had to live forever, I wanted to make a difference in the world since I wasn't given the chance to say no to becoming this."

"What about the rest of your . . . family?"

"I got lonely after two centuries but I refused to do this to someone else. The first person I changed was Edward and only because he was already dying. I was working in a hospital during the Spanish Influenza, him and his parents were sent there to die. His mother begged me to save him and he begged me not to let him die. Then came Esme, Rosalie, and Emmett, I only changed them because they were seconds from death. Alice found Jasper, both already vampires, and then they found us. Lastly is Jared, Emmett and Edward found him while they were hunting, he had just been mauled by a bear."

"I . . . how . . . what?"

"We would never hurt you or Ava, you both mean too much to Emmett." he said.

"You drink blood." I muttered.

"Animal blood, yes, it keeps us strong but not as 100% as human blood would. We are still very strong, don't ever forget that."

"What do you mean?"

"If Emmett were to hug you too tightly, he might break a bone. We believe Emmett might be one of, if not the strongest vampire in existence. His strength is his gift."

"He could kill me by accident." I stated.

"Yes, but . . ."

"Gift? Do all of you have gifts?" I asked.

"No, not every vampire has a gift. Jasper is an empath, he can read emotions and manipulate them. Alice can see the future to an extent. Edward can read minds and Jared can project his thoughts." he said and I feel like my mind is going to implode.

"Alice . . . did she see me?"

"Yes, she saw you coming. She has been looking to see if you've made your choice but Emmett told her to stop."

"This is . . . I can't believe . . . vampires and special abilities . . . what the hell is this?" I whispered.

"He misses you, he barely leaves his house."

"I miss him too, but I don't know that it changes anything." I admitted.

"All I ask is that you think about it. Emmett would never hurt you." Carlisle said.

"You just said he could, by accident."

"He cares about you too much not to be careful. With both of you, he cares very much about both of you."

"This can't be real. I'm sitting in a hospital office talking to a vampire about his vampire family."

"Valentina . . ."

"I should go now, lots of things to do." I said, standing up and walking out of the office.

Walking quickly, I told a few of the nurses that I was going to take a nap. In all honesty, I just sat there thinking about everything I just learned and thinking about Emmett. I mean, scientifically it's not possible for a person to be alive for over three centuries but there's Carlisle. He's a . . . they are tofu vampires? He, Carlisle, he's a good person, he's dedicated his entire existence to being a better man, how can I hold that against him? And Emmett . . . he didn't choose this life, Carlisle did, and I can't blame him because hello, 200 years alone.

How the hell can I rationalize this? How do I tell myself that it's okay to put my daughter in danger because I'm falling for a vampire? What kind of a mother does that? I do miss him though, his surprise visits, funny texts, his childish antics to make me smile. I miss and it messes with my head.

By 7:30 am I knew I had to stop hiding. I splashed water on my face and brushed my teeth for good measure before heading out to do rounds. This town barely has anyone in the hospital for a long time, mostly highway accidents that get airvacced out of here or kids doing stupid things. That means rounds were quick, all of the patients from last night are doing good, all of the critical injuries in stable condition.

"Valentina!" my boss called out.

"Good morning Mrs. Marsh, how can I help you?" I aske.d

"Have you been down to the reservation yet?"

"The Indian reservation? No, why?"

"Once a month we send someone down there to help with immunizations and to stock them up on supplies."

"Let me guess, no one wants to go?" I smiled.

"That's the problem we're having. It takes anywhere from 3-5 days, depending on how many of the people actually want to get the vaccines for them and their kids." she sighed.

"They prefer the natural way?"

"It's so frustrating." she said.

"I'll go, just let me know when."

"Thank you so much! Next Monday starting at 9am, we'll give you everything that you'll need."

"It should be fun, I'm excited."

"You are amazing and I really appreciate it."

By the time my 14 hours shift was over, I was exhausted, although I think it's more a mental exhaustion than a physical one. How can a conversation tire you out so effectively? I made it home by 8:45 and walked in to the scent of cinnamon oatmeal and coffee, and my baby's giggles.

"Look at who's here sweetie pie. It's momma." grandma Morgan said as she bounced my baby on her hip.

"Why didn't you go to work today? Hi piccola." I said, taking my daughter from her great grandmother's arms.

"I called in a day. Val, I'm thinking of retiring." she smiled.

"You're what?"

"I want to retire." she said.

"Why? I mean, you're only 55."

"I work because I want to, not because I have to. I am lucky in the fact that my husband made and left me a lot of money. My job is more of a hobby that pays well, I only did it not to be home alone but I'm not alone anymore. Now I can stay home and spoil Ava Rae."

"Are you sure? I really don't mind taking her to the daycare, I don't want you to think that you have to . . ."

"Sweetie, I work because I'd go crazy at home alone. I know you don't expect me to do this, I want to. I won't be alone will I sweetie pie?" she said, cooing at Ava.

"Grandma . . ."

"If it bothers you that much I can work from home. It'll be fine for me. How was your shift?" she said, patting my cheek.

"They asked me to go to La Push to help with vaccines starting next Monday."

"That'll be fun, Sue is a wonderful woman. I buy fresh fish from her husband occasionally. They're really good people." she said.

"If you say so, then I believe you."