Chapter 43

"I'm so incredibly sorry that he made you feel that way. The abrupt departure of the family definitely didn't help. Bella, I'm ..."

"Emmett, I swear if you apologize again I'm shoving you in the sun." she said, making the three of us laugh.

"It's good to see you too, kid Bella." he smiled.

"I'm gonna go change into my scrubs and ..."

"Go, you two go and eat, I've got Ava." Emmett said.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"We'll be fine, I know how to heat up her milk. We've got this, right sweetie."

"How old is she now, Val?" Bella asked.

"Ten and a half months and I don't know how time's flown by like this." I sighed.

"She's gorgeous." she said.

"All her mom." Emmett added.

"She's got her dad's eyes and the shape of his nose. Oh lord, I'm gonna get gray early with this one."

"No dating until she's 30." Emmett said and the look in his eyes made me laugh.

"I'll be right back, give her here so that I can change her clothes too. Grandma Morgan will be back soon and can handle diaper changes." I said.

"Big, scary Emmett can't handle a dirty diaper?" Bella laughed.

"I can overcome many things, a dirty diaper is not one of them and I'm not ashamed to say that." he replied, making me laugh as I walked away.

I changed Ava into a simple, but warm outfit. It's only February and it's still pretty cold around here. After changing into my scrubs, I put my hair up and went back downstairs. When I heard Bella answering Emmett's questions, I stood behind the wall but Ava screeched and gave us away. Although, I'm sure Em already knew I was here.

"It really was good seeing you again, Emmett." Bella said.

"It's good knowing that you're doing better." he replied.

"Valentina." she smiled, hugging me.

"You're putting all the hard work in, don't give me all the credit." I told her.

"I wouldn't be here without you and we both know that." she insisted.

"Go! Both of you get out of here and leave me and Ava alone. We're gonna play video games and hunt." Emmett said.

"Right." I said following him to the kitchen.

"You're doing really good with her." he said in a low tone.

"I'm trying."

"You're a great mom and it's showing. Go have fun and eat with her, she needs that female morale boost. I don't know how much good seeing me is gonna be for her but I had to apologize." he sighed.

"It's not your bad for you to apologize for." I told him, getting on my toes to kiss him.

"Mmm, tease." he pouted.

"Later on, big man." I smiled.

"Diner?" Bella asked when I grabbed my coat.

"The diner."

It's turned into our place whenever we go out to eat. The waitresses love doting on Ava and they all mostly know Bella, even though she doesn't remember them all that much. We had a good lunch where Bella told me more about what's happening in school and how she's getting closer to Jacob.

I warned her about that. She can't just go from depending on Edward to depending on Jacob to fill that void. Apparently, she's aware that he's got a bit of a crush on her but she said that she's made it clear to him that she's not interested in him in that way. According to her, she was very open to him about what happened with Edward, sans vampire species, and told him that she just wants a friend. I hope that clarity remains in their friendship, the girl can use some more friends.